What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Switching web browsers, help please.

natalieann80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm trying to switch to the Mobicip web browser on my iPad and disable Safari for Internet security. I have the new browser installed and restriction placed on Safari, but i want to be able to open links from other areas, like mail, in the new browser. Does anyone know how I can do that?

Sorry for posting this in polls, I didn't know where else to ask.

OP
N

natalieann80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
natalieann80 said:
I'm trying to switch to the Mobicip web browser on my iPad and disable Safari for Internet security. I have the new browser installed and restriction placed on Safari, but i want to be able to open links from other areas, like mail, in the new browser. Does anyone know how I can do that?

Sorry for posting this in polls, I didn't know where else to ask.

Ok, now that I've seen the actual website for the forum I see that there are a lot more places to post questions than are shown in the app. Any help is still appreciated, but I will also be looking in the appropriate venues. :)

Sent from my iPad via iPF

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, natalieann80 and welcome to the forum! I've moved your post over to the help section (as it fits in better than in polls).

As to your question, I'm sorry to have to tell you that unless you jail break your iPad, you cannot have any browser other than Safari open by default. You'll always open in Safari (it's an Apple thing, ya gotta understand :().

So, you'll have to either copy the link you want to open or, when sent to Safari, copy that link. Then, you can open your browser and paste.

It's a bit of a muddle, I know. Sorry.

Marilyn

OP
N

natalieann80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad is jail broken. (gotta love mywi and incarcerapp!) So if there is a way to do it please let me know. Is there a Cydia app that let's you set a different browser as default?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, look at me, making assumptions! That'll larn me, yeah?! :D

In that case, take a look at the tweak Browser Changer in Cydia. I forget the price (if not free) at the moment, but it's not expensive for what it does. Oh, and also get the SBSettings toggle also - makes it easier to turn on/off the default if you need to...

That tweak just got an update today, which added more browsers. Still, the one thing I have to stress is that you make sure you check the list of browsers supported by this tweak. It doesn't work with all, just the more "popular" ones. If your browser is listed, yay! If not, I don't know of anything else you can do/use, short of trying out one of the browsers that is supported.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

Agentsmith07

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use ichromy browser, now renamed as diiGo. Don't know how to replace default safari though :(

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agentsmith07 said:
I use ichromy browser, now renamed as diiGo. Don't know how to replace default safari though :(

If you are jail broken follow the advice above, it's good! If you are not jail broken you cannot change the default browser from safari.

The Archangel

Agentsmith07

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
If you are jail broken follow the advice above, it's good! If you are not jail broken you cannot change the default browser from safari.

The Archangel

Yup ... Did it now and it ipworks superbly :)

Most reactions

Latest posts