What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad and Outlook Web help (via atomic, icab, etc)

bonnee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I brought the ipad to be able to access something called edumail, which is an outlook web app.

Unfortunately, I hadn't anticipated the conflict of operating systems - edumail doesn't work properly via the Ipad's default web browser. Outlook's interface wasn't fully functional in the way it should have been (ie, via IE or Firefox on Windows).

I tried the supposedly compatible icab, but it made me jump through so many hoops that I gave up disheartened (I was required to configure my server address et al, and I'm not sure what these were exactly. Everything I inputted proved to be wrong. The basic set up process was needlessly complicated so I decided to try another browser).

I purchased Atomic Web browser, and encountered the same lack of functionality (for different reasons though). Nonetheless, I used the feature 'identify web browser as', and had it spoofing Internet Explorer and Firefox (in order to be able to use outlook web mail properly, of course).

Despite looking present and accounted for, the Firefox 3 mode simply froze and was unusable. I had to restart the Ipad to get out of there.

The Internet Explorer modes worked a treat for all of 3 seconds, and I was then told that I needed to run ActiveX to get it working again. Unfortunately, I can't seem to turn this feature on via Atomic.

Can someone please suggest how this might be possible? Do I need to download and install activex to get IE or Firefox working? If so, how would I do that please?

Alternatively, I welcome suggestions for an alternative web browser known to be compatible with Web Outlook. Otherwise I'm going to have to return my Ipad disenchanted.

thanks in advance

Tracey

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi

I brought the ipad to be able to access something called edumail, which is an outlook web app.

Unfortunately, I hadn't anticipated the conflict of operating systems - edumail doesn't work properly via the Ipad's default web browser. Outlook's interface wasn't fully functional in the way it should have been (ie, via IE or Firefox on Windows).

I tried the supposedly compatible icab, but it made me jump through so many hoops that I gave up disheartened (I was required to configure my server address et al, and I'm not sure what these were exactly. Everything I inputted proved to be wrong. The basic set up process was needlessly complicated so I decided to try another browser).

I purchased Atomic Web browser, and encountered the same lack of functionality (for different reasons though). Nonetheless, I used the feature 'identify web browser as', and had it spoofing Internet Explorer and Firefox (in order to be able to use outlook web mail properly, of course).

Despite looking present and accounted for, the Firefox 3 mode simply froze and was unusable. I had to restart the Ipad to get out of there.

The Internet Explorer modes worked a treat for all of 3 seconds, and I was then told that I needed to run ActiveX to get it working again. Unfortunately, I can't seem to turn this feature on via Atomic.

Can someone please suggest how this might be possible? Do I need to download and install activex to get IE or Firefox working? If so, how would I do that please?

Alternatively, I welcome suggestions for an alternative web browser known to be compatible with Web Outlook. Otherwise I'm going to have to return my Ipad disenchanted.

thanks in advance

Tracey

EduTech Support: iOS
:D

OP
B

bonnee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the response OUTL4W - unfortunately, that link is to an American site and I'm based in Australia. It's not as helpful as it could be due to cultural variations. Can someone please advise on the activex requirement?

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can't install activeX controls on iPad....that is for windows based machines....

Do you receive edumail via gmail? From what I've read .edu accounts will work with gmail. If so..Instead of 'default' suggestion imap.googlemail.com and smtp.googlemail.com try using imap.gmail.com / smtp.gmail.com. And be careful to put your whole email address as username (for example [email protected]).

Last edited:

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
bonnee said:
Thanks for the response OUTL4W - unfortunately, that link is to an American site and I'm based in Australia. It's not as helpful as it could be due to cultural variations. Can someone please advise on the activex requirement?

What cultural differences, it should work, the only thing you need to found out is the smtp server settings, which will obviously be different.

Most reactions

Latest posts