What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Switcheasy Canvas cracking

partsmutt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have the Switcheasy canvas case for the iPad2. So far I gotta say i LOVE this case, well, up until this weekend.

It just developed a problem and I'm researching it now to find out how widespread the problems are or if I'm an isolated case. The corners of the case are cracking. Little hairline cracks. On two of the corners the cracks developed into little chips that have flaked off. I'm taking a wild guess that maybe the plastic isn't expanding and contracting with temperature changes to keep up with the iPads aluminum expansion(??). Dunno. Mine is the charcoal color. Would all the colors be the same, or would certain plastic mixes affect the thermal properties of the unit?

I just put an email in to Switcheasy and I'll post back here when I hear from them. Hopefully they'll be cool. I had read good things about the company before I bought from them.

Has anyone else here had that happen to their Canvas? What color is yours? Good or bad experience with getting a replacement?

Thanks

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've had the same issue with the Belkin snap shield. I think they are making them too tight as you have observed. I'm not returning it yet since they probably all will crack.

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

Kentv999

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, mine has also cracked. Replacement is easy if you send pics of the damage. I'm guessing next one will crack too given it must be a design flaw.

celly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any pics of these cracks? I love this case. I hope mine doesn't develop the same problems.

OP
P

partsmutt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to follow up in case others are researching the same problem on their Canvas case.

Switcheasy got back to me via email within a couple hours and asked for some documentation of the problem. Proof of purchase (paypal receipt), name, address and pics/video of the problem. I sent everything to them that same evening and the next day I had a confirmation email that a new case was on it's way to me. Started the process on monday and the new case arrived in the mail thursday. Overall I'm happy with the customer service.

Having said that, it was all done via email, so there was no two way conversation about whether this is a widespread problem or whether they have changed the plastic, etc. So I'm moving forward with the assumption that this new one is identical to the old one and it's going to crack again. However there is a 2 year warranty on it since I bought it through switcheasy's website. I'll return it again if needed, and hopefully there will be a design change to fix the cracking before my 2 years is up.

OP
P

partsmutt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had the same issue with the Belkin snap shield. I think they are making them too tight as you have observed. I'm not returning it yet since they probably all will crack.

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

I thought about sticking it out for a while and wait for them to admit a design flaw and either change the design or the composition of the plastic. However my cracks developed into small chips breaking off the corners and one was a bit sharp. Not sharp enough to cut or anything, but sharp enough to make me readjust my hand if I happened to catch it just right. So I figured to just replace as needed until they change it or the warranty runs out.

Reef_Shark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm on my second Canvas (the first one broke on 3 edges....), and that one just cracked as well.... Oh well.....

Coffeeboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a CoverBuddy case from Switcheasy, and so far I have had no problems with it.

This sounds reassuring! I've opted for a CoverBuddy myself to replace the Belkin snap-on I presently have. Mainly this is an esthetic improvement in my mind (I have the orange SmartCover), but seeing as some of the other SwitchEasy covers tend to crack, it's nice to note that the CB one don't! At least not insofar. My present Belkin has of yet shown no signs of cracks, and I hope the same will be true with the CB!

Also, I do believe SE will change the designs for the cracking covers, since the cost for constantly having to replace them will prove more costly than a slight(?) change in design!

//Stefan

Most reactions

Latest posts