What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SwitchEasy Nude review

dave421

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All photos: SwitchEasy Nude case/skin for Apple iPad - a set on Flickr

I'll start off by saying that I'm pretty anal when it comes to cases & skins. It took me about 2 weeks to actually order something. I finally decided on the SwitchEasy Nude last Thursday and ordered it through their site for $32.99 with shipping. It got here yesterday and I went home to grab it at lunch.

I was pretty happy with the overall look & finish when I first opened it. Unlike many skins, this one actually has a fine gloss finish instead of any kind of soft touch finishing. The package comes with the case, screen protector, 2 stands (1 black & 1 white), & 2 sets of port covers for the headphone jack & dock connector.

The screen protector is extremely easy to apply. Just watch out for dust. It easy to remove & reapply so you can pick up a corner and use a piece of scotch tape to get dust out if needed. I guess it would also help protect the screen from scratched. That's the extent of the benefits. Personally, I hate it and it will be removed shortly. This thing reflects everything right back at you. I really didn't have too many issues with glare before but now it's insane. It's also a fingerprint magnet. Once again, I didn't have too many issues with fingerprints before but this just sucks the oils off your fingers so they prints are constantly noticeable.

The skin itself is nice. The gloss finish actually makes it easy to hold on to while offering some protection. Let's face it, any form fitting skin is not going to offer drop protection but it will do a great job of keeping scratches off the iPad which is why I bought it. The detail of the skin is great. SwitchEasy did their homework here. All cut outs are precisely sized & located giving it a higher quality look. The kit also comes with 4 port covers (2 headphone & 2 dock) that add a bit to the product. Honestly, I'll probably lose them within 2 weeks but I like them and it's added value.

The skin does have some negatives. First of all, you don't get a nice gloss finish on plastic without it being extremely sensitive. If you looked at the photos above, you saw some scratches & scuffs. Those all happened within 6 hours. The "roughest" surface I put it on was my coffee table & some old files at the office. That's all due to dust & dirt. Honestly, it's not REALLY noticeable unless you're really looking though. Plus, I bought a skin to protect the back. It's job is to get scratched instead of the iPad. Also, the polymer that the port covers are made of REALLY needs some finish work. There's too much flash & excess material on them so they end up detracting a lot. This bothers me 10x more than the scratches. I'm going to try to clean them up a bit when I get time to.

Overall, I'm happy with the skin. Yeah, I basically paid $30 for a skin but the quality is good enough that I'm fine with it and I'd probably buy it again. I especially like that it's thin enough that I can still throw it in an iPad case if I wanted to.

OP
D

dave421

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problem. I searched and searched for reviews and photos when I was trying to decide and was let down by the overall lack of info for iPad accessories. I figured I'd try to toss as much info out there that I can to potentially help someone else make a decision.

TheBaron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been looking at this one too. I wound up buying a really cheapo ebay TPU case when I got my ipad for the time being, but I'm looking for something that fits a little better and doesn't detract from the sleek ipad form factor.
Still, I keep hearing how easy it is to scratch up the Nude skin. Bummer. I may have to keep waiting. Hopefully Speakeasy will come out with a matte finished skin.

rowan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
rowan.us
Thanks for the in-depth review. Results sound pretty mixed.

Question: When the iPad is sitting in its stand, can it be charged? It looks from your photos you can't have the cable in it (at least, not in portrait mode).

Last edited:
OP
D

dave421

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Question: When the iPad is sitting in its stand, can it be charged? It looks from your photos you can't have the cable in it (at least, not in portrait mode).

That's correct. You cannot charge in portrait mode unfortunately. The stand is just a simple molded plastic made to fold up so that it's easily portable.

Most reactions

Latest posts