What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What I used to protect and tote around my iPad 2012...

danielmramos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum even though I have been reading for some time. My family finally took the plunge and purchased a new iPad. I walked out of the Apple store and did not purchase any of the cases, protectors, or covers they had there. They just did not suit our needs and I needed to evaluate what would be best given the way we used our iPad. What we ended up with is a hodgepodge solution that works great for us. The kids have a Dr. Seuss "Cat in the Hat" canvas book bag that they were not using. It is a nice bright blue bag with red straps. It is now the official iPad bag. The bright colors and logo make it easily identifiable while also making the kiddos aware that it is not off limits if it is in a bag they donated. Obviously a canvas bag offers little protection. We fixed that situation by purchasing a Case-Mate Pop! hard case with stand (The new iPad 3 Pop! Stand Case by Case-Mate). The Pop! case has received good reviews and I do not want anything coming between my fingers and that lovely retina display. Of course the lack of screen impact protection is unfortunate, but I easily solved the problem by incorporating a Fedex bubble pack mailer into the book bag. Now the bag offers impact and weather protection as well as looking really nice. It is an inexpensive solution that I think will work just great. I know a whole lot of people go for that super rugged otter box type case, but I find them to be overkill and ugly to boot. After all iPads are for learning, playing, and making, not for tactical ops. At least not in my family. By the way, when I say weather protection I mean full on rain. Those fedex plastic envelopes are quite waterproof as long as they are not submerged. If I get a chance I will post some pictures later.

I hope you all find what works best for you. :)

OP
danielmramos

danielmramos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
These people had a similar ideas.

http://www.cremedelacraft.com/2012/04/diy-ipad-case-from-bubble-mailer.html

O
ne big difference is I am incorporating the bubble mailer into a canvas bag that has straps for carrying under the arm and instead of a string to secure the flap I am using velcro. Of course I am not entrusting the bubble mailer with total security. It is just added protection, hence the addition of a Pop! hard case.

By the way, I noticed that when I purchased the Pop! case from Amazon the price was $38.35. They must have run a temporary secret sale because the price went back up to $50 shortly after. What a deal! Keep your eyes open.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions