What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SWF / AVI convert App

leonweavers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all.

I have a question... You know when you download a PDF from Safari you can save it and open within iBooks.... Is there an App that will allow me to convert/save SWF files to AVI format and save to the iPad?

Also ideally I'd like to be able to do with without ever having to connect to iTunes as I do not use a computer anymore!

I hope that makes sense..

Thanks
Leon

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a program that most all iPad users have called GoodReader. It's the 'Swiss Army Knife' for the iPad and it can store files all together and in folders - or however you want them - and can transfer files to and from your PC using either WiFi or USB without the need for iTunes. It's built in web-browser can download files too, something that Safari doesn't offer - except for PDF format. From within GoodReader you can open those files in any app that supports that type of file. Having said that, though, when a compatible app does open that file it makes a local copy that it works on, so the original copy in GoodReader is left untouched. If you want to store the modified file in GoodReader you have to transfer it back there by some means.

GoodReader can also attach several files to an email and then send them using the iPad's native Mail app - something you can't do from within Mail itself. It also gives you the opportunity to annotate PDF files and save the resulting file so that it can be read on a PC or Mac.

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
SWF is the extension for a Flash project. The iPad has no support for Flash, not a bit. That means it can not read the file first in order to convert it. You are left with two options. Convert on a computer, or try and find a web site that you can upload to, convert, and then download the results.

If you find a website converter (I don't know of one) you'll still have to figure out how to upload the file. If you, or someone else, comes up with a site it will be necessary to do some experimenting to figure out how (if possible) to do this. It's going to involve some third party apps and probably cloud storage at the very least.

But the short of it is that the iPad is not a good platform to do file conversions on, especially ones that involve Flash.

Last edited:

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
If you find a website converter (I don't know of one) you'll still have to figure out how to upload the file. If you, or someone else, comes up with a site it will be necessary to do some experimenting to figure out how (if possible) to do this. It's going to involve some third party apps and probably cloud storage at the very least.

Use a Flash-supported software like Lumixsoft (http://www.lumixsoft.com/) to convert the Flash into an iPad-supported video format, then upload it onto the iPad Video via iTunes, or via apps like DropBox, GoodReader, etc.

dwightgenius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe you can use the swf to video converter from Moyea to convert your swf file to avi or mp4 and upload it to youtube so that you can watch it directly on you ipad.
Website of the converter: http://www.swfkits.com/

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts