What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saving Safari Reader "files"

el_duderino

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I enjoy reading website article's using Safari's Reader function, but was trying to figure out a way to save articles in that format as PDFs or other files. Is there an app that can do that for me or can it be done at all? I've also tried just converting the webpages at issue to PDFs using a PDF converter app, but the result has been a little less than satisfying, especially in comparison to the Safari Reader format.

Just for clarification - I'm not talking about downloading PDFs from Safari, as I recognize there are PDF readers (GoodReader, etc.) that will do that. Just talking about the Safari Reader function to save, e.g., online newspaper/magazine/etc. articles without the ads, etc.

Thanks.

OP
E

el_duderino

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I enjoy reading website article's using Safari's Reader function, but was trying to figure out a way to save articles in that format as PDFs or other files. Is there an app that can do that for me or can it be done at all? I've also tried just converting the webpages at issue to PDFs using a PDF converter app, but the result has been a little less than satisfying, especially in comparison to the Safari Reader format.Just for clarification - I'm not talking about downloading PDFs from Safari, as I recognize there are PDF readers (GoodReader, etc.) that will do that. Just talking about the Safari Reader function to save, e.g., online newspaper/magazine/etc. articles without the ads, etc.Thanks.
any help here?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Can't be done, at least not easily.

But there is a pre Safari Reader solution that will probably make you happy. Instapaper has a reading mode very similar to Safari's Reader mode. Let's just say that Apple was apparently inspired by Instapaper and a few similar offerings.

Get an Instapaper account, and the app for your iPad.

Once you do that you can create a special bookmark in the BookMark Bar. When every you tap it the page will be saved to Instapaper.

To do that, you need a bit of javascipt code.

Code:
javascript:function%20iprl5()%7Bvar%20d=document,z=d.createElement('scr'+'ipt'),b=d.body,l=d.location;try%7Bif(!b)throw(0);d.title='(Saving...)%20'+d.title;z.setAttribute('src',l.protocol+'//www.instapaper.com/j/SrztHioaPNq1?u='+encodeURIComponent(l.href)+'&t='+(new%20Date().getTime()));b.appendChild(z);%7Dcatch(e)%7Balert('Please%20wait%20until%20the%20page%20has%20loaded.');%7D%7Diprl5();void(0)

Then you make a bookmark for any site, and edit it, changing the name and pasting this code into the URL part. The following guide should make it easier.

When you copy the code on the iPad just tap and hold the code until it is selected, be sure to drag the selection handles to exclude the Code: header.

Attachments

• MakeInstapaperLink.jpg
    MakeInstapaperLink.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 507
Last edited:

Bmarshy84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I enjoy reading website article's using Safari's Reader function, but was trying to figure out a way to save articles in that format as PDFs or other files. Is there an app that can do that for me or can it be done at all? I've also tried just converting the webpages at issue to PDFs using a PDF converter app, but the result has been a little less than satisfying, especially in comparison to the Safari Reader format.

Just for clarification - I'm not talking about downloading PDFs from Safari, as I recognize there are PDF readers (GoodReader, etc.) that will do that. Just talking about the Safari Reader function to save, e.g., online newspaper/magazine/etc. articles without the ads, etc.

Thanks.

Hey mate

I spent ages looking for a way to do this too, finally just found one.
You need a jailbroken ipad or iPhone.
Open cydia, search for printify

This will allow you to look at a page in reader, then click print, but gives you the option to save it, or open it with another app.. I use Dropbox. It saves as PDF, and saves it exactly now you view it in reader.

App is only $2 too

Hope this helps

Braidon

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That's cool. I can do something similar at home using Printopia to print to a folder on my computer, instead of a printer. One of the print folders I have set up is in my DropBox synced folders on the computer; so it ends up in Dropbox as a PDF without much of a delay. It is less useful, because you can only do it at home, on your own network, with a computer setup with Printopia or Fingerprint software. But it does not require a jailbreak.

I just noticed that if you choose Mail when viewing in Reeder mode that it sends both the link and the simplified text of the article. If you have an Evernote account you could send the page results there for later reading. Should show up in the Inbox, unless you specify a different notebook in the subject line.

Since the thread started, iOS 6 came along. The Reading List in Safari now stores saved sites locally on the iPad. It used to just save the link. So you also have the option of just adding web-pages to the Reading List, then tapping the Reeder button (if available for that site).

It's been half a year this thread was started and it looks like the OP is long gone; but maybe we're helping someone else down the line.

Thanks for bringing the topic back for updating. :D

HLC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It may not be what you are looking for and there maybe a software to do this or a easy to create something BUT there is an easy solution! I use Safari Reader all the time and if I want to save an article in that format to send to people or to file it, I simply go to File/Print (Cmd and P) and click the PDF button and choose Save As PDF... It works every time.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It may not be what you are looking for and there maybe a software to do this or a easy to create something BUT there is an easy solution! I use Safari Reader all the time and if I want to save an article in that format to send to people or to file it, I simply go to File/Print (Cmd and P) and click the PDF button and choose Save As PDF... It works every time.

That would be OS X, on a Mac.

That aside, the Reading List and Reader mode in iOS Safari have improved even more iOS 7.

This is a pretty old thread, and some of the earlier information is no longer true, for instance the bookmakrlet is probably broke. Many of them did with the upgrade.

Most reactions

Latest posts