What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Standard iPad apps vs. iPhone

JLStrange

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In comparing the standard apps on my iPhone to what's listed on the Features page on the Apple site I'm not seeing the following:
  • Clock
  • Stocks
  • Weather
  • Calculator
  • Voice Memos
It also doesn't have messages or camera which wouldn't apply to the ipad at this point. I don't use Voice Memos but do use the other items.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sure there is at least 15 apps to do all those things in the app store. We also don't know any final specs yet...they might slip some more apps in before launch.

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rumor has it that in a future software version, Apple is going to add a dashboard like feature which will include the apps you mentioned. It will be activated by a multitouch gesture or the unlabeled key on the keyboard. The rumors I have heard indicate that this will be in the iPhone 4.0 version which will also include some form of multitasking. Just rumors mind you.

I think it is equally as likely that Apple just doesn't have the new versions of those apps finished yet. Time will tell.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Or didn't want to clutter the display graphics with all those "old" apps so they could show off the new ones. Also to make it look big and clean and open. If you added all those apps to the home screen the iPad would have looked full up.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But think about how silly the iphone calculator app would look on the ipad!!!

Would be like one of those brookstone joke calculators!

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Or really good for the elderly :D . iPad as big iPod for old people still = win.

Guillaume

iPF Noob
Reaction score

If someone had told you before the iPad "Imagine the notes app running in 1024*768", I think you'd have called it silly too :)

If Apple does bring these apps to the final iPad, I'm sure they'll find a way to use the added screen estate efficiently (calculations history? graphing calculator? etc.)

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

If someone had told you before the iPad "Imagine the notes app running in 1024*768", I think you'd have called it silly too :)

If Apple does bring these apps to the final iPad, I'm sure they'll find a way to use the added screen estate efficiently (calculations history? graphing calculator? etc.)

The new Notes app is remade for the iPad. It basically looks like an old yellow pad with a pocket to list the notes in the book.

Apple - iPad - Jot down notes on your iPad and take them to go.

Pretty cool looking actually.

But seriously....a full screen calculator app on a 10" screen.

Guillaume

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The new Notes app is remade for the iPad. It basically looks like an old yellow pad with a pocket to list the notes in the book.
Yup, my point- they could remake the calculator app the same way they redid notes.

I'm a mathematician/computer scientist- I could think of tons of ways to make a calculator fit 10" seamlessly :p

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yup, my point- they could remake the calculator app the same way they redid notes.

I'm a mathematician/computer scientist- I could think of tons of ways to make a calculator fit 10" seamlessly :p

That was my point. They could turn it into a full graphical trig calc app.....but just literally porting the iphone app to a bigger screen would not work.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually that got me thinking about Texas Instrument and if they'll make an advanced calculator App. They have the BA II plus as an App I think. It would be intersting to see what they do. Although I don't think Apple would be to happy if also allowed programs writen in thier high level language to run.

Mattdonino

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All the apps can be easily replaced in the app store except the clock the clock was integrated into the OS allowing it to work when the phone is off or doing another action. All of the iPad apps I've downloaded thus far only work when the app is running and the iPad is on rendering alarms useless.

Anybody else know of anything that will set an alarm that works universally or am I stuck waiting for OS 4?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All the apps can be easily replaced in the app store except the clock the clock was integrated into the OS allowing it to work when the phone is off or doing another action. All of the iPad apps I've downloaded thus far only work when the app is running and the iPad is on rendering alarms useless.

Anybody else know of anything that will set an alarm that works universally or am I stuck waiting for OS 4?

You can set an alarm using the calendar. Just set an event and tell it when to alert you.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com

You can set an alarm using the calendar. Just set an event and tell it when to alert you.

Only problem is you cannot repeat weekdays only for a continued work alarm. I do find the missing clock to be a PITA as it is one of those things you just "assume" will be there.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Only problem is you cannot repeat weekdays only for a continued work alarm. I do find the missing clock to be a PITA as it is one of those things you just "assume" will be there.

I use my phone as an alarm so it doesn't bother me.

Most reactions

Latest posts