What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Standalone Updates

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So will they start standalone updates without requiring a computer? I'd like to be able to update my device by using "Software Update" just like OS X.

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More than likely with the iPad OS 3.2 SDK, syncing as well as updates will be via iTunes. :ipad-peacock:

Im still pondering the ability to update via the cloud or Apple's site. :comingsoon:

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does't a self updating OS mean the firmware would need to be able to handle that task? Is the iPhone/iPod firmware capable of that right now? Could it run on it's own to an iPad restore site if the iPhoneOS gets Fubared? Those seem
like the questions that need to be adressed to me.

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with ApplePC - it will be updated just like the iPhone, ie via iTunes.

rudeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What about individual user accounts? If anyone picks up the my iPad they will be able to read my email. Need individual user accounts or a password protection.

gpaisnd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Updates

I've been thinking about this a bit today. If we're updating/syncing through iTunes then does that mean video content will only be .mp4 files?

Or, are we going to have video codecs with a smaller MB footprint? Be nice to know some of these answers before we order a certain size iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts