What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sound working only in earphones, not speakers on iPad 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizziewsj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
further to this, I definitely think it has got "stuck" on the lock mute/thing as sometimes I will change the settings, reboot, and then go back and the changes have not stuck

Ontheknow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Fid. your solutions for my sudden loss in volume involving running apps in the background combined with shut off/on did the trick for me. I was shocked to see that EVERY app I had was running in the background. Thought that was really strange and will want to investigate further.

Kjsevans

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I also am having this problem.

Sounds work on my speakers (i.e., alerts), but iTunes, videos, etc., do not work.

I have my mute unlocked. There flat out isn't a sound bar to adjust - it just appears as an empty bar with no ball to slide up or down.

When I put my headphones in and pull them out, my sound bar will return and it will work, but if I try to adjust it, it will disappear again and the sound will become totally muted.

If I double tap the home button and slide the bar over, I can restore the audio if I mute and unmute using the mute button on the right side.

And, yes, I have closed all apps and rebooted the iPad.

Should I be taking this to a Genius Bar?

Empire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
please help - i have IPAD 3 about a week ago the sound on speakers started crackling, now the sound is off completely.

Is this an Apple issue with the Ipad 3?

I have powered off IPAD now not sure what to do next. I am also not in the country where i bought the Ipad

thanks Debbie

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Empire said:
please help - i have IPAD 3 about a week ago the sound on speakers started crackling, now the sound is off completely.

Is this an Apple issue with the Ipad 3?

I have powered off IPAD now not sure what to do next. I am also not in the country where i bought the Ipad

thanks Debbie

Shouldn't matter. Sounds like a hardware failure since it took its time. Head for the Apple Store and a replacement. Make an appointment before you turn up at the Genius Bar.

Reaction score
I had the same exact problem but it was with my iPad mini, which Is what I'm using right now.. The way I got it to work was to go into settings, general, reset and reset all settings.. I have had this problem several times on my iPad and iPod touch, n this seems to be the only way to fix the problem.. If this doesn't work then you may have to bring it in to like best buy or something and have them to try n fix it, though I don't trust bestbuy with my electronics, but your choice

seventhdust

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a sound bug unsure if it this will help you but only takes a minute.

From Settings/General change the side switch property from lock rotation to mute.

Now mute the iPad via the side switch.

Now unmute via the side switch.

Now test to see if problem is resolved.

This problem usually manifests as alert sounds working, in app sounds (games, etc) not working after upgrade to V5.1

Good luck.

This worked for me!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!

rkrumm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Been reading every post I can find on this subject.

I do not mean to be insulting so please bear with me.

When you checked the general setting what was the use side switch set to (lock rotation or mute) and what is it set to now?

Set property to mute....then flip side switch to mute position ( you will see a red dot appear on the switch when you do).

Now unmute

Now test.

The switch should be set to no mute (with no red dot visible) before changing the general setting.

If this fix doesn't work the only other causes I've located is a dirty pin number 21 on the ipad port (google clean pin 21) or hardware failure on the heaphone jack...both highly unusual.

OMG Midranger,

I've been beating my head against the wall trying to figure out the same exact sound problem. The pin problem was exactly it. I jus blew in the connector opening and plugged the charger wire in and then pulled it out and now the sound is working again.

Thanks So Much!! :-D

Sarah@TechBae

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Follow the below solutions to fix iPad sound & speaker not working problem.
Make sure the iPad is not muted.
2. Close all running apps and reboot.
3. Reset all the settings of your iPad.
4. Look out for Hardware issue.

To get detailed info, go to this link - Moderator Edit: No external links

Last edited by a moderator:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a very old thread, whose original poster is long gone, so I'm closing it. Thanks for participating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts