What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In built speaker not working on ipad2

Phalpin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have spent the past few weeks trying to figure this out but have had no luck. I was listening to my music using headphones on a plane a couple of weeks ago and since then my ipad will only play sound through the headphones and not through the in-built speakers. I have reset, restored, made sure the side bar is not set to mute, changed the function of the side bar to rotation lock and back again, drained the battery and everything else I was able to find online!

The difference between my problem and others that I have read about is that when I double tap the home button and scroll to the left (and also in my music app) the circle to allow me to adjust the brightness is there but no circle for sound (as shown in the attached screenshot!). When I plug in my headphones it reappears but disappears again once I take them out.

Please help!! I'm starting to go mad!!

Thanks

p

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 533

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try to clean the docking port with a toothbrush, but do it gently and carefully. Sometimes there's some dust, ... there and makes the iPad think it's connected to a music dock.

What you could do as well:
Insert your headphones into the headphone jack. Do this for a couple of minutes as sometimes it gets stuck in headphone mode so this normally undoes that.

Last edited:
OP
P

Phalpin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you thank you thank you! Got at it with my best toothbrush and my sound is working again! There is definitely something stuck in there because it stops every now and then but once I clear it, it works again! Who knew such a simple fix would sort it after all this time! Thanks again for the tip J.A.!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you thank you thank you! Got at it with my best toothbrush and my sound is working again! There is definitely something stuck in there because it stops every now and then but once I clear it, it works again! Who knew such a simple fix would sort it after all this time! Thanks again for the tip J.A.!

You're welcome!

Most reactions