What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smart Cover and the New iPad

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Skull One said:
Ok, there is now an some what official word out (New iPad Smart Cover incompatibility issue caused by magnet polarity | The Verge) on why some covers work and others don't. My cover fails because the magnets are exposing the wrong pole to the sensor. By sliding them an 1/8" it causes it to reach the outter flip point of the poles. Yay, I get to go buy a new one now. Thanks APPLE!

Wow. So that reads as though it's just luck as to whether the early covers have magnets inserted the right way round. Guess I was lucky then! :)

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Last night I went to Fred Meyer (a big box department store here in the Pac NW) and got a new polyurethane gray smart cover for my iPad 2, as I'd moved my nice blue leather one over to my new third gen iPad. The salesman in the electronics dept. asked me if I was getting it for the iPad 2 or 3 and insisted that the smart covers for iPad 2 will will not work with the iPad 3. I told him that they in fact do, citing the above. He scowled and went on to insist the polyurethane one isn't compatible but the leather one does. When I got home, I tried the new polyurethane cover on my third Gen iPad. Works. Seems that guy was trying to talk me into spending another $30. I've had the leather one since the iPad 2 first came out. It as well as the new one both fit and work properly on the new iPad. I used their 20% in store coupon and got it for $31. Interestingly, I found a dark gray one mixed in with the gray leather ones. Definitely darker than the light gray. I really had to look it over to make sure it wasn't actually a leather one. I compared it to a rack full of gray polyurethane ones. They were far lighter, practically pastel-looking (like the light blue, pink and light green ones were). Guess I lucked out. :)

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Last edited:

huayangnianhua

iPF Noob
Reaction score
EDITED - Read further posts for discussion on polarity.

The smart cover works perfectly on both my 2 and 3. I have 2 covers, one old and one new. Both are interchangeable between devices.

Hope that clarifies :)
What brands are ur iPad smart cover please? there are many news say the smart cover can not fit the new iPad 3 well, i even dare not to buy it before i ensure there will be no problem... thank you!

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
huayangnianhua said:
What brands are ur iPad smart cover please? there are many news say the smart cover can not fit the new iPad 3 well, i even dare not to buy it before i ensure there will be no problem... thank you!

I believe we're all talking about the Apple brand covers, as both of mine are.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
huayangnianhua said:

Yes, I was talking the official Apple products only, and neither are leather.
Both my old and new covers work perfectly on both my iPad2 and iPad3. The consensus seems to be that it is luck, based on what way the magnet was put into the case during the manufacturing process, as to whether older Apple Smartcovers will work on the 3. I imagine the latest manufacturing process has been refined to ensure the polarity is always consistent on newer models...

darrinaltman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the key is some of the old Apple Smart Covers will work and some won't with the auto on / off feature. From my understanding the early batches made might not have the magnet positioned correctly as it is needed now on the 3rd gen iPad. I would say for sure any bought recently will be fine.

pastorpatsue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My old light blue apple smart cover I bought about a month after the iPad 2 was released works fine on my iPad 3. Must be hit or miss. The speck back cover that protects the back of the iPad with the smart cover snapped on just fine also. I bought a 64gig white verizon iPad 3 yesterday. One thing is for sure, it is much easier to get one at a retail store than last year. Apple improved this year greatly in getting the product out.

Patrick

Most reactions