What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smart Cover and the New iPad

jmbarker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was on the phone today with an Apple rep about an entirely different matter and inquired about the current Smart Cover and it's compatibility with the new iPad. I have read somewhere recently, maybe in this forum, that there were issues with the current Smart Cover and it working with the new iPad. Something about polarity of the magnets in the new iPad being reversed compared to the iPad 2. The rep told me there is only one Smart Cover being sold and that it works with both the iPad 2 and the new iPad. She also told me to call Apple if I have problems with one and they would correct the issue.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
EDITED - Read further posts for discussion on polarity.

The smart cover works perfectly on both my 2 and 3. I have 2 covers, one old and one new. Both are interchangeable between devices.

Hope that clarifies :)

Last edited:

Chantelle310

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do all cases for the iPad 2 with the new iPad? And the same with screen protectors? Need to get some today

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Chantelle310 said:
Do all cases for the iPad 2 with the new iPad? And the same with screen protectors? Need to get some today

Not 100% guaranteed. The iPad3 is ever so slightly thicker than the 2. So if the case has a little bit of give it will fit. My experience is that most "soft" cases (so leather, silicone, gel, etc.) fit well, but you will want to test the "hard" cases. i.e the rigid moulded plastic type ones, since they obviously have less tolerance for the extra thickness of the pad and since these types of cases often clip round the sides it may not be a good fit...
In other words, if the case is designed to be a very tight fit for an iPad2, it's best to check.

Chantelle310

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure to double check before I buy. I'm guessing screen protectors are the same size too?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Chantelle310 said:
Thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure to double check before I buy. I'm guessing screen protectors are the same size too?

Yeah, sorry missed that. Yes, the screen has identical dimensions, so protectors should be fine.

Jrs22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just want to add that many iPad 2 cases fit but the magnetic on-off doesn't always work on the new iPad.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jrs22 said:
Just want to add that many iPad 2 cases fit but the magnetic on-off doesn't always work on the new iPad.

Interesting, I haven't experienced that myself. Is it a new smart over or an old one you bought for a 2? Would be interested if anyone else is experiencing this too...

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bought a an apple leather smart cover and the magnets work fine. This wasn't the case for my ZAGGfolio 2. The Case does work with the iPad 3. (it was snug and I had to do some modifications to the felt pad underneath the felt backing) However, my iPad 3 simply wouldn't shut off when you closed it. No matter how many times I tried. It wasn't until I went into the compartment that housed the magnet in the folio and reversed the magnets that it finally worked. So there is some truth to an issue with polarity.

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ahhh. The polarity issue I was referring to was the ability of the Apple Smartcover to attach to the case. Bets are off when it comes to 3rd party cases activating the lock/unlock! :)

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The "sensor" in the iPad (3rd Gen) is about 1/8th of an inch closer to the screen than the "sensor" on the iPad2 for auto lock/unlock. My wifes iPad 2 cover doesn't work because of that, even though it fits perfectly.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Skull One said:
The "sensor" in the iPad (3rd Gen) is about 1/8th of an inch closer to the screen than the "sensor" on the iPad2 for auto lock/unlock. My wifes iPad 2 cover doesn't work because of that, even though it fits perfectly.

Odd that both mine work. Ipad2 cover was purchased with the ipad2, but turns my 3 on and off. It is well used and the "hinge" is quite loose. Maybe that's enough to tip the balance...

Last edited:

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Odd that both mine work. Ipad2 cover was purchased with the ipad2, but turns my 3 on and off. It is well used and the "hinge" is quite loose. Maybe that's enough to tip the balance...

Or your cover has larger magnets built in to the cover. The ones in my wife's cover seem rather small to me but I would have to measure and then compare to other covers to be sure.

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It seems strange that changing the Polarity of my magnets would've made a difference if that isn't an issue. The magnets where put back in the exact same spot on the ZAGGfolio when I reversed them. After I fixed it I did go back in and add an additional magnet to make it stronger, as on my iPad 2, I would have to wiggle the cover to get it too work sometimes. The OEM magnets that come with the ZAGG where tiny.

Most reactions

Latest posts