What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slow iPad 2

Neale F

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys, just 'discovered' this forum.
I have an iPad2 (64Gb version) bought in June 2012. Until a couple of months ago it worked like a dream. Now it's slow to open apps and slow to react to taps. I've tried limiting the app background refresh and closing apps that 'run' in the background, but to no avail. I'm running the latest IOS 9.1 release and have over 32GB of free space, so that can't be the problem.
Can anyone help/suggest a solution?
Many thanks in advance! N

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just a question and initial suggestion: 1) Did the 'slow down' relate to an upgrade to iOS 9.x? and 2) Have you tried a 'Reset' of the device, i.e. hold down the ON-OFF & HOME buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, then release both and allow the iPad to reboot - let us know if this maneuver helps. Dave :)

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
OP
N

Neale F

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a question and initial suggestion: 1) Did the 'slow down' relate to an upgrade to iOS 9.x? and 2) Have you tried a 'Reset' of the device, i.e. hold down the ON-OFF & HOME buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, then release both and allow the iPad to reboot - let us know if this maneuver helps. Dave :)

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

Dave, many thanks for your reply. Now you mention it, the iPad's performance did 'go south' around the time I installed the latest iOS upgrade (9.1). I tried the reboot procedure you suggested but everything seems to remain the same - slow. Do you think this could be a software problem. It certainly doesn't seem to be a wi-fi issue as my iPhone 6 works like a dream.
I also remember having an app upgrade issue at the time (iTunesU). It didn't conclude the upgrade download, and remained a shadow for a while, but I managed to delete it in the purchases tab on the App Store app. I think this app is history now. When are Apple bringing out the next iOS upgrade? Maybe that will fix things...

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iOS 9.2 is currently in beta release. The current beta release is iOS 9.2 beta 4. The public release will probably be sometime in the next few weeks.

iTunesU works on my iPad 2, which is currently on iOS 9.1.

OP
N

Neale F

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks scifan57 for your reply. When you say the new iOS upgrade is in beta release, what exactly does that mean? It's being tested in the market?
Good to hear your iTunes U app is working ok on your iPad 2. I deduce then that it's not the source of my particular problem. Another box ticked then.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Beta releases are designed for a limited amount of users to fine tune the operating system prior to its public release. Beta testers send bug reports to Apple for any glitches they encounter and Apple takes them into consideration when designing the next beta version. This continues until Apple is satisfied that the iOS version is ready for public release.

Have you tried re-downloading the iTunesU app? The failed update may have become corrupted, explaining why the update wouldn't complete.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks scifan57 for your reply. When you say the new iOS upgrade is in beta release, what exactly does that mean? It's being tested in the market?
Good to hear your iTunes U app is working ok on your iPad 2. I deduce then that it's not the source of my particular problem. Another box ticked then.

Hi Neale - looks like you're in good hands w/ Scifan.. - about a year ago I went from my 2011 iPad 2 to an iPad Air 2 and have had no problems w/ the newest iOS - the next iOS version will likely not be compatible on the iPad 2 - beginning quote below from an interesting Ars Technica Article - you might want to read and then start budgeting for a new iPad - just a thought - good luck! Dave :)

iOS 9 on the iPad 2 is so different from iOS 9 on the iPad Air 2 that they might as well be two different versions of the operating system. That's not really intended as a criticism—the iPad Air 2 is also somewhere around eight or nine times faster than the iPad 2, depending on the benchmark—just a statement of fact.

Most reactions

Latest posts