What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I Optimize My iPad Mini 2?

TechnicGeek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I bought iPad Mini 2 like 5 years ago and it performed okay but as years went buy it became slower even for basic browsing.

Is there anything I can do to optimize performance? I think it has latest iOS update installed.

Thanks.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello,

I bought iPad Mini 2 like 5 years ago and it performed okay but as years went buy it became slower even for basic browsing.

Is there anything I can do to optimize performance? I think it has latest iOS update installed.

Hello TechnicGeek - the iPad Mini 2 was released at the end of 2013 (see pic below - Source), so not sure if you bought a 'used' or new one (if available new, since the Mini 3 came out in 2014). Also, you need to provide further information about your storage and how much is used, your battery (any charging issues, short runtimes, etc.), whether you have hard reset the device recently, and any liquid/physical damage?

Note that your iPad does not have the latest iOS (which is 14.3) but can go to 12.4.9 at the most according to the link above. Also check HERE for similar and likely additional advise on how to get a 'sluggish' iPad to perform faster - you may have to backup, reset, and reinstall, kind of the last resort? Good luck - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 12.30.14 PM.png

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There isn't a lot you can do. At five years your iPad is near the end of its supported life cycle, and the advances in iOS and the nature of the web are pushing it to its limits. However, you can try resetting it. This may clear up any accumulated problems.

First do a good backup. Also look over anything that may be stored locally (not in the cloud) and save it do another device or computer. Then go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Contents and Settings. When prompted, restore from the backup.

More extreme, you could choose not to restore from a backup. If all you use the iPad for is a few things, and you don't care about what is stored on it, a clean reset is the closest you can get to optimizing your iPad. You'll then have to re-install any apps you want and re-add any services. iCloud content should recover as long as you use the same iCloud account during the reset procedure.

In both cases, you risk losing content, so be sure it's in the backup or saved elsewhere.

There is no guarantee this will improve the iPad's performance.

OP
TechnicGeek

TechnicGeek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@giradman The iPad was new, brought from BestBuy. It has 32GB of storage with 13.53GB currently available. It has iOS version 12.5.1 installed after I just updated it.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
@giradman The iPad was new, brought from BestBuy. It has 32GB of storage with 13.53GB currently available. It has iOS version 12.5.1 installed after I just updated it.

Hi again - looks like the Wiki chart on the Mini needs some editing - ;) Thanks for the information above - your storage is unlikely an issue - you did not mention the battery? Also, I could list some next steps to do, but the link in my first post discusses those and others - if not already done, follow some of their suggestions.

Of course, barring COVID restrictions and risks, you could take the Mini into the BestBuy store which has Apple qualified techs or an Apple store (if nearby and opened?) to have 'diagnostic testing' done? Dave :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts