What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Siri yayyy !

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The thing to remember about Siri and all other voice recognition programs is that a lot depends on your voice. Voices are very unique and many of us do not have the ability to speak with the clarity of a professional speaker. Add regional dialects, differences in pronunciation, and so many other factors, and you can understand why it takes a lot of processing power and special microphones. In the human brain, a highly developed hearing system is matched by a brain that is highly adaptive. Much beyond the crude processing power of today's computers. That Siri works as well as it does, is a testiment to the developers. Ten years from now, it will be a crude and humerous system, but for today, it should be fun. Just remember to enunciate.

y o y o

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, can someone tell me does siri works on iPad ( first generation)... Tnx

iDeviceGuru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
y o y o said:
Hi, can someone tell me does siri works on iPad ( first generation)... Tnx

A5X chip is required to support the speeds and data flow of the Siri program on any iDevice.

Andyvalver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Siri is pointless. I never use it. It's a gimmick apple have tricked everyone into thinking is great. Voice control has been around for years

iDeviceGuru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Andyvalver said:
Siri is pointless. I never use it. It's a gimmick apple have tricked everyone into thinking is great. Voice control has been around for years

Voice control has been around for a long time yes, but for example use the blackberry curve, it's terrible doesn't work at all, Siri however is created in real time, it learns your accent and changes to your specific needs without you having to do anything, it's the best portable voice control yet.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iDeviceGuru said:
A5X chip is required to support the speeds and data flow of the Siri program on any iDevice.

No,that's not correct, iDeviceGuru. The A5X chip is not required in an iDevice for Siri to work. The iPhone 4s has Siri and has the A5 chip,not the A5X chip.

Last edited:

iDeviceGuru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
No,that's not correct, iDeviceGuru. The A5X chip is not required in an iDevice for Siri to work. The iPhone 4s has Siri and has the A5 chip,not the A5X chip.

In the iPad it is, as it's not an active, as are iPhones, where the data can be streamed directly to the iPhone via 3G.

The iDevice Guru

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iDeviceGuru said:
In the iPad it is, as it's not an active, as are iPhones, where the data can be streamed directly to the iPhone via 3G.

The iDevice Guru

When Siri comes to the iPad the data will be streamed back and forth between Aople's computers and the iPads using it. Siri doesn't work without an active Internet condition,either 3G or WiFi. Siri on the iPhone will also work when the phone is on WiFi,not just 3G.

The current voice dictation feature on the iPad 3 uses Siri technology and also requires a live Internet connection to work.
The ability to use Siri is not dependent solely on the presence of either the A5 or A5X chips,but is part of the firmware in the iPhone 4S and in the ipad3 with the upcoming introduction of iOS 6.
The iPad 2 has the same A5 chip as the iPhone 4s,in fact It had it before the iPhone 4S was introduced but is still incapable of using Siri,because the ability to use Siri can't simply be programmed into an earlier device like the iPhone 4 or iPad 2.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iDeviceGuru said:

The iDevice Guru

It's still not correct,even for the iPad 3. Whichever device Siri is installed on,it requires an active Internet connection to work as none of the processing involved in Siri's functioning is done on the device itself,but on Apple servers. The request is sent from your device to Apple's servers,processed there and the answer is sent back to your device in near real time.

iDeviceGuru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
It's still not correct,even for the iPad 3. Whichever device Siri is installed on,it requires an active Internet connection to work as none of the processing involved in Siri's functioning is done on the device itself,but on Apple servers. The request is sent from your device to Apple's servers,processed there and the answer is sent back to your device in near real time.

Exactly what I've just been saying, well done on picking that up. Siri was designed around the iPhone 4S with the A5 chip, before they knew about A5x, so they had to implement it to work with new software/firmware. You're not making any new or relevant points.

The iDevice Guru

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iDeviceGuru said:
Exactly what I've just been saying, well done on picking that up. Siri was designed around the iPhone 4S with the A5 chip, before they knew about A5x, so they had to implement it to work with new software/firmware. You're not making any new or relevant points.

The iDevice Guru

On the contrary,I corrected the inaccuracies in your posts. The A5 chip in itself is not what allows Siri to work on the iPhone 4S. As I stated before,the iPad 2 had the A5 chip before the iPhone 4s came out. Other internal features,in addition to the A5 chip,on the iPhone 4s are what make Siri possible. The same applies to the iPad 3 and is why Siri will not be available for the iPad 2.

iDeviceGuru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
On the contrary,I corrected the inaccuracies in your posts. The A5 chip in itself is not what allows Siri to work on the iPhone 4S. As I stated before,the iPad 2 had the A5 chip before the iPhone 4s came out. Other internal features,in addition to the A5 chip,on the iPhone 4s are what make Siri possible. The same applies to the iPad 3 and is why Siri will not be available for the iPad 2.

Yes that's because Siri was designed around the iPhone 4s, not the iPad 2, that's why the new A5x chip is needed for Siri to work on the new iPad, other features are needed, but it's the chip that does everything that the iPad can do, such as process the information before sending it to servers.

The iDevice Guru

Most reactions