What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I get the AT&T or Verizon iPad 2?

Fifi1992

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i do not have a free wifi service in my office. good for those of those who do. this is one of the reasons why i ordered an ipad with 3g. i did not want to be somewere and needed the 3g and did not have it. i wanted to have the choice.

sillyrabbitt123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone else come across this yet? Verizon is billed on a prepay basis and will not give you a bill? They just charge your credit card and will not give you an invoice. CRAZY! i need a bill to submit to my company who pays the 3g. Anyone know how to get verizon to send a bill?

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
tweeter said:
Ventured out this morning to visit our Verizon store. For some reason I thought they'd have some answers about their plan today. Foolish me. I actually spoke to the Apple person there.....not only don't they know anything about the activation fee, they don't even know if they'll have any iPad2s this afternoon!!!!

So, next stop was Best Buy. Spoke to the Apple person. He didn't know anything about the Verizon plan, but he tried to find out. One place he checked mentioned the activation fee, another didn't.

What is Verizon thinking? Or maybe the better question would be is anyone there thinking?

Thinking!? What made you think they did any of that!!!!??? :) I never found anyone except back room techs at Verizon to know much of anything except "the company line." it's folks like you that help us know the details. Thanks for your research.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AT&T.

Verizon offered fewer dropped calls compared to AT&T in back to back iPhone 4 tests, but you're not using voice 3G service on an iPad.

AT&T consistently outperformed Verizon when it came to data speed. Both are arguably close in overall coverage, however, Verizon has a larger 3G network, though half AT&T's speed.

Having GSM worldwide compatibility is a plus for traveling outside the US, or as already mentioned, may offer a future buyer more options, therefore may hold a higher resale value compared to a non-GSM model.

The AT&T model would be my choice if it were me, however, I'd also check into unlimited service from Clear if you've got coverage in your area. That's what I'm using now, and I love it. Wireless Internet — Mobile 4G Wireless Internet Access from CLEAR

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
xune said:
AT&T.

Verizon offered fewer dropped calls compared to AT&T in back to back iPhone 4 tests, but you're not using voice 3G service on an iPad.

AT&T consistently outperformed Verizon when it came to data speed. Both are arguably close in overall coverage, however, Verizon has a larger 3G network, though half AT&T's speed.

Having GSM worldwide compatibility is a plus for traveling outside the US, or as already mentioned, may offer a future buyer more options, therefore may hold a higher resale value compared to a non-GSM model.

The AT&T model would be my choice if it were me, however, I'd also check into unlimited service from Clear if you've got coverage in your area. That's what I'm using now, and I love it. Wireless Internet — Mobile 4G Wireless Internet Access from CLEAR

My sentiments exactly. AT&T may be many things but what they ain't is a slouch when it comes to high speed 3G.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

melsnel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got my Ipad2 at the Verizon store on Friday. I love the product but was really disappointed in how utterly disorganized they were. I have been a Verizon customer for years and have never experienced such horrible customer service. The good news though is that there is no activation fee so with the spotty ATT service where I live it was a no brained to get Verizon.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
clear

But the iPad2 is not 4G so Clear would not work. There is precious little 4G service available in the USA at the present time which is why iThings go only as fast as 3G.

Most reactions