What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Verizon 3G really that much worse than AT&T???

PattyVA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone, newbie here. I discovered these forums a few weeks ago when I went on the "great find an iPad2 adventure" and was lucky to find one and purchase it last night at the Apple Store. However, it's not the exact model I wanted, and have spent the day thinking/rethinking.

I got a White 32gb Verizon 3G. Originally I wanted a Wifi only of the same size and color and still have one on order from apple.com (though not due to ship until 4/21). Last nights purchase was a total impulse decision, and probably out of some frustration after watching inventories through the trackers online for weeks. And a little impatience, too, of course!

I had talked myself out of getting the 3G initially since I wasn't sure how often I would really use it. I have an iPhone 3G, which I always have with me, so I reasoned that if I really needed to connect, I could do so through that. I do some traveling, domestically and internationally once or twice a year (for pleasure) and recently used my iPhone abroad (NZ and Aust) through free wifi and a limited international plan for checking email but more for texting. I can't imagine it being much different just only using wifi with the iPad if I'm abroad knowing I'd have the phone as well.

So now my quandary is, do I really NEED the 3G? Should I keep it "just in case" I might want it someday? Will it make the iPad more marketable in the event that I would want to upgrade later on and sell it? And after all the reading I've done, is Verizon REALLY that much worse than AT&T or is it just a personal preference? I have had AT&T as my cell carrier for close to 10 years (though the Cingular merges, etc) and have few problems with it on my iPhone. But know that Verizon also offers great coverage in this area as well (Metro DC).

Or should I see how much I'd use it over the next 14 days, while I can still, I believe return it to the Apple Store without a restocking fee, return it and wait a week (by that point) for my original order to ship.

Right now, I'm leaning towards just keeping it and canceling my online order, but would appreciate some thoughts/opinions on Verizon's 3G given the fact that I might only use it on a limited "as needed basis."

Thanks in advance for any input!

wclyffe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My thoughts....I owned an iPad 3G and this time just bought a iPad 2 wifi only. I too, travel a couple times year where I would turn on the 3G and that would cost me $25 each time. For the extra $130 for the 3G version and the $50 I ended up spending for those two times the cost was $180. For an additional $20 each time you want to tether from your iPhone, you can turn that feature on for the month. When I sold my first iPad I got a little more for it, but not $130 more. For my particular situation, it wasn't worth it. I have an iPhone 4 and with the MyAtt app installed in it, you can turn on tethering in a minute...really easy. The rest of the time is all wifi anyway.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You'll find that people will strongly defend whatever they bought, carriers, cases, etc. The truth is it all depends on the coverage and possible network congestion where you live.

I've had both, the original iPad on ATT and the iPad 2 on Verizon. I switched to Verizon because it's about twice as fast during weekdays than my ATT iPad due to overcrowded ATT networks where I live, repeat...where I live.

Verizon has cheaper data plans for people using 1GB or less, with no contract. Activate 3G when you need it. Sounds perfect for you.

Fifi1992

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I choose AT&T 3gwifi white. As I do not have wifi I can use on my job. if I'm traveling abroad it will be easier.

OP
P

PattyVA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My thoughts....I owned an iPad 3G and this time just bought a iPad 2 wifi only. I too, travel a couple times year where I would turn on the 3G and that would cost me $25 each time. For the extra $130 for the 3G version and the $50 I ended up spending for those two times the cost was $180. For an additional $20 each time you want to tether from your iPhone, you can turn that feature on for the month. When I sold my first iPad I got a little more for it, but not $130 more. For my particular situation, it wasn't worth it. I have an iPhone 4 and with the MyAtt app installed in it, you can turn on tethering in a minute...really easy. The rest of the time is all wifi anyway.

Wow, thanks for the thoughtful response. I had the same thoughts though at the same time thought that the assurance of the flexibility if I do find I might use it would be nice too. This is my first iPad, I was planning on buying the first version around Christmas before my extended overseas travel in January, but it wasn't in my budget with the trip and I'd also heard the 2 was coming soon, so I held out- and am so far very happy that I did!

Question about tethering though? I'm assuming that you have to have the same carrier for both your iPhone and iPad to use the phone as a hot spot? I am on AT&T on my phone and Verizon on my iPad.

Again, thanks for your insights!

OP
P

PattyVA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You'll find that people will strongly defend whatever they bought, carriers, cases, etc. The truth is it all depends on the coverage and possible network congestion where you live.

I've had both, the original iPad on ATT and the iPad 2 on Verizon. I switched to Verizon because it's about twice as fast during weekdays than my ATT iPad due to overcrowded ATT networks where I live, repeat...where I live.

Verizon has cheaper data plans for people using 1GB or less, with no contract. Activate 3G when you need it. Sounds perfect for you.

Thanks for your input. I'm in the DC area and yes, even here people are very strongly opinionated on the AT&T versus Verizon as carrier for cell coverage! A lot complain about AT&T, but I've personally not had THAT many problems with it in the many years I've had it over than consistently dropping calls in certain locations (I.e. Near the Pentagon, CIA, etc, which is not carrier specific.). A lot of people love Verizon too, but I've never had them for a cell carrier, however I've been a long time user of their Fios service at home and have never had any problems.

And it's good to know that their plans are a bit cheaper, so I'm leaning towards keeping it, I'm not site if I can continue to participate in the iPad hunt to get another model or debate on keeping/returning this one and waiting for my original order! I'm looking forward to just exploring and playing with this thing!

Again, thanks greatly for your input!

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Question about tethering though? I'm assuming that you have to have the same carrier for both your iPhone and iPad to use the phone as a hot spot? I am on AT&T on my phone and Verizon on my iPad.
The carrier of the iPad 3G is irrelevant if it is tethering to an iPhone: it will be connected to the iPhone via WiFi (or bluetooth). The 3G portion of the iPad won't even be used in such a situation. Indeed you don't even need a 3G iPad in the first place to tether it to an iPhone.

Michael

wigsajumper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PattyVA

THought I would chime in and mention. If you head west to Hagerstown MD at all there is a huge Verizon Deadspot in that town. My inlaws live there and when we go to visit we are on extended network with our phones and its Voice only. So with your VZW iPad you would have no data coverage.

The reason I choice a VZW iPad is because in most of Maine and most of Northern New England AT&T has no 3G service. Verizon's 3G might be a little slower then AT&T's 3G but VZW 3G is much faster if AT&T doesn't even exist

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only difference is what works better where you live and how you use it. For me, I use mine enough when I am out and about, that I love the 3G option. It is very handy to be on the road and look up services I need and phone numbers. I also do not have a smart phone that can be used for tethering. As for comparing carriers, if service is equal, usually it might be better to get the AT&T plan due to the fact that they use separate systems for data transfer. If Verizon gets overloaded with traffic, you have a strong chance of being dropped. AT&T will switch you over to a slower EDGE connection until things abate.

SueInBoston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same predicament and went with ATT 3G. I was in line for over an hour on release day and when it was my turn all they had left was Verizon, I was so tempted to just get it because Verizon actually has better coverage where I live.

I want 3G because when I travel for leisure, i don't want to carry my laptop, having the 3G allows me to look up hotels, maps or whatever I need. I do have an iphone but that small screen gets hard on the eyes..

I also travels overseas every couple of years and know that the ATT model will work, also there's a high demand of used Ipad market overseas, if I ever want to sell it, my option is greater with ATT.

OP
P

PattyVA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The carrier of the iPad 3G is irrelevant if it is tethering to an iPhone: it will be connected to the iPhone via WiFi (or bluetooth). The 3G portion of the iPad won't even be used in such a situation. Indeed you don't even need a 3G iPad in the first place to tether it to an iPhone.

Michael

Thanks, Michael for your input. Definitely good information to know. I may not need the 3G in the long run, but again, I never know...and it's nice to know I have some options!

OP
P

PattyVA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PattyVA

THought I would chime in and mention. If you head west to Hagerstown MD at all there is a huge Verizon Deadspot in that town. My inlaws live there and when we go to visit we are on extended network with our phones and its Voice only. So with your VZW iPad you would have no data coverage.

The reason I choice a VZW iPad is because in most of Maine and most of Northern New England AT&T has no 3G service. Verizon's 3G might be a little slower then AT&T's 3G but VZW 3G is much faster if AT&T doesn't even exist

Thanks! I very rarely travel out that direction anymore, and doubt I'd be too pressed if my iPad didn't work since my iPhone likely would. And I have to remember that there was a time not too long ago that I didn't HAVE data service!! LOL! Good to know though! Thanks for your input!

OP
P

PattyVA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same predicament and went with ATT 3G. I was in line for over an hour on release day and when it was my turn all they had left was Verizon, I was so tempted to just get it because Verizon actually has better coverage where I live.

I want 3G because when I travel for leisure, i don't want to carry my laptop, having the 3G allows me to look up hotels, maps or whatever I need. I do have an iphone but that small screen gets hard on the eyes..

I also travels overseas every couple of years and know that the ATT model will work, also there's a high demand of used Ipad market overseas, if I ever want to sell it, my option is greater with ATT.

Thanks for your input. And yes, I am thinking I'll use it more when I travel so I don't have to carry my laptop. However, usually in the few times a year I travel internationally, I don't take my laptop, since I'm usually too busy sightseeing/relaxing and enjoy the time away from being attached to a computer, iPhone, etc! And in most places abroad its super easy to find somewhere to check your e-mail inexpensively! I will be taking my iPad with me to a conference a few hours away in a week or so, but the hotel already offers free wifi, so I am will be fine. I recently traveled in NZ and Australia for nearly a month and found free wi fi in most places in Aussie and more paid in NZ, but it was still accessible for cheaper than the monthly plans would have been given the little I used it. And there's still all those other resources (i.e. local tourist info booths, shop/hotel staff, maps, etc) that still exist!! :) It is handy to have though!!

I don't anticipate selling it anytime soon (I'm already having too much fun to think about parting with it), and don't tend to upgrade each time a new model comes out. I'm still happily using my iPhone 3G, though we'll see what happens when the 5 comes out later this year and I'll be eligible for upgrade status by that point.

Thanks for your input! These forums are such a wealth of information!

Most reactions

Latest posts