What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

can i use at&t ipad 2 on t-mobile.

xxcysxx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
i'm looking to buy an ipad 2 when its become available. i'm interested in the at&t model because its gsm and it uses a sim card. however, i want to use it with t-mobile network. so my questions are, is the at&t ipad 2 locked to at&t network?
does it use the small simcard kind that is on the iphone 4?

If the ipad 2 were to be unlock from at&t network, and i can get a small simcard from t-mobile and able get data service from it. would i be able to take full advantage of the 3G capability of the ipad on t-mobile network? or is it just going to be EDGE connection.

If the ipad 2 would not be able to connect to t-mobile network at 3G, then it would be a waste to spend the extra money even if it support edge. because my phone support hsdpa on tmobile and it is fast and i can just tether the ipad to it instead. but i would prefer to go all out if i can take advantage of the added function to its fullest potential.

Thanks

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, you cannot

In any event, it is not locked.

This is not a telephone.

AT&T's 3G data service is pay as you go, no contract. I almost never use mine as WiFi is available so universally. If I do need it, I can turn the 3G service on for the time I need it and then turn it off.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only issue you might face is that you may need to activate it first on the AT&T network - maybe I'm wrong (I usually am!) but I've been reading posts from members who have bought an AT&T iPad and then found that they need to activate it before they can insert another non-AT&T microSIM.

See the thread below for some information

Other than that minor consideration, there's not any problem.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/17319-no-service-coverage-area-help.html

Tim
Scotland

jail4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
i'm looking to buy an ipad 2 when its become available. i'm interested in the at&t model because its gsm and it uses a sim card. however, i want to use it with t-mobile network. so my questions are, is the at&t ipad 2 locked to at&t network?
does it use the small simcard kind that is on the iphone 4?

If the ipad 2 were to be unlock from at&t network, and i can get a small simcard from t-mobile and able get data service from it. would i be able to take full advantage of the 3G capability of the ipad on t-mobile network? or is it just going to be EDGE connection.

If the ipad 2 would not be able to connect to t-mobile network at 3G, then it would be a waste to spend the extra money even if it support edge. because my phone support hsdpa on tmobile and it is fast and i can just tether the ipad to it instead. but i would prefer to go all out if i can take advantage of the added function to its fullest potential.

Thanks

possible but unlocking is necessary..

lakeron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even if you unlock it I believe the 3G frequencies are different at least they are for the phones

Dungther

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm currently running tmobile edge since I opened the box. Not the fastest but enough to get by when on the bus or train.

Attachments

• image-1332859201.png
    image-1332859201.png
    151.2 KB · Views: 748

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dungther said:
I'm currently running tmobile edge since I opened the box. Not the fastest but enough to get by when on the bus or train.

That's hard to believe, but I guess everybody has different Internet speed tolerance levels. When my iPhone on AT&T switches to Edge network from 3G, I am cursing up a storm at the sluggish response.

hoshnasi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dungther said:

That's hard to believe, but I guess everybody has different Internet speed tolerance levels. When my iPhone on AT&T switches to Edge network from 3G, I am cursing up a storm at the sluggish response.

Tmobile and AT&T share the same EDGE connection type. Meaning you can use an iPad on tmobile, just not 3G. Which I would argue is the goal...

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hoshnasi said:
Tmobile and AT&T share the same EDGE connection type. Meaning you can use an iPad on tmobile, just not 3G. Which I would argue is the goal...

I was referring to the "enough to get by" comment. Yes, Tmobile and AT&T edge are compatible.

twinsmama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad2 with T-Mobile?

Hi Dungther,

Really!? So excited! I want to buy ipad2 3g model but I am hoping I could use it with T-Mobile prepaid. Are you using prepaid or monthly plan? Do they have micro sim or you bought a "custom-cut" one? Many thanks for your comments.

Dungther

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twinsmama said:
Hi Dungther,

Really!? So excited! I want to buy ipad2 3g model but I am hoping I could use it with T-Mobile prepaid. Are you using prepaid or monthly plan? Do they have micro sim or you bought a "custom-cut" one? Many thanks for your comments.

I have an extra line that I'm waiting for the contract to end. So might as well cut the sim and use it for my iPad. If I really need the speed, I'll just pop in the AT&T sim and pay for a month if I'm traveling but I'm ok with everything since I'm usually just surfing, FBing and tweeting.

Most reactions

Latest posts