What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

should i get an ipad 2

enjoilife94

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Idk if I should get one. I want one but android tablets you don't need to jailbreak to get free apps plus they are cheaper.

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
enjoilife94 said:
Idk if I should get one. I want one but android tablets you don't need to jailbreak to get free apps plus they are cheaper.

You don't have to JB for free apps, there are thousands of free apps.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jailbreaking is not about getting free apps (that is piracy and against the forum rules).

Any further discussion about Jailbreaking and free apps will result in this thread being closed.

The Archangel

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You don't need to JB to get free apps with the iPad either. But when there is one available for the iPad 2, there are plenty of free apps in Cydia. Also ask yourself if you can live without flash.

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
enjoilife94 said:

Hi OP.

I can assure you can get plenty of free apps on an iPad. Like Android, there are paid apps and there are free ones. I have a very tight budget, have hundreds of apps, and I don't pay for a single one of them. There are a lot of great free apps to chose from. I have an app called AppShopper and it shows which apps are temporarily free. I've found some great apps that way, too.

So if the only reason you are considering an Android tablet over an iPad is the reason above, I'd highly think again.

In my opinion, Android tablets are cheaper for a reason.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Based on my iPad and android phone experience, I don't see the cost of apps as a deciding factor. Both have paid and "free" (many hoping for a donation) apps. There ARE other factors which would sway a decision (cost being one), but may not be relevent depending on intended usage.

In my opinion, Android tablets are cheaper for a reason.
I agree that the hardware quality of the iPad seems very good (perception, not any particular inside knowledge). On the other hand, I have seen devices which charge a premium for names and image (not thinking of apple here). Rarely do you get something for nothing, but sometimes you don't get what you pay for. A higher price does not always guarantee higher value or quality. Ironically, I don't see a lot of 10" android tablets that are appreciably cheaper than the iPad.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
oberkc said:
I agree that the hardware quality of the iPad seems very good (perception, not any particular inside knowledge). On the other hand, I have seen devices which charge a premium for names and image (not thinking of apple here). Rarely do you get something for nothing, but sometimes you don't get what you pay for. A higher price does not always guarantee higher value or quality. Ironically, I don't see a lot of 10" android tablets that are appreciably cheaper than the iPad.

Well said. There are some solid Android tablets out there, like the newest one from Asus which is getting some positive reviews already. However, after the smoke clears the iPad still remains a strong choice. It has terrific hardware, works like a charm, and there are roughly eleventy billion or so great apps for it with new ones coming out constantly. Price wise, the other tablets, sans the low end crappy ones, aren't much cheaper. There may be a few features they have that are nice, like SD card slots and such. But, I still think the iPad is the "one".

Assess your needs and go from there.

silguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the iPad 2. After I toyed around wit my first iPhone about 3 years ago, I fell in love wit apple products. I've also debated this topic among myself many times even tho I have the iPad 2 and as tempting, interesting and faster android tablets r emerging. One field that gives me a solution is that you just can't beat the amount of apps from iTunes or apple (at this time). If you buy an android just to play around or jus surf the web ONLY, then fork out a few hundred to play trial and error. Androids will never run apps as smooth as apple devices, check y in recent articles. Android tablets r a dime a dozen, which one r u gonna get before another one pops up right after u get urs? Why not jus get the best and end the debate? Maybe in a few years someone may invent someone to beat apple? Who knows? I doubt it tho. But of course if u have the money, it's always fun to get everything that's out there, like my friend, who has All the tablets....

Harley man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Appel has just lower the price on refurbish iPad 2 16 gb is 419 32gb is 499 that Is a 100. off of the 32 it comes with same warranty as a new one and a new battery and back case you would never know its refurbish go check it out at the apple online store my brother just order one .

from USA bucks county pa Sent from my iPad using iPF

ginamouse91

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MoonlitSonata said:
Not sure where you're looking, but I've found a bunch of great free apps. In fact, 90% of the apps I have are free and awesome.

I have my New iPad 2 for 1week now and also downloaded a couple of free apps already. You can find lots of them in the store!

Most reactions