What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Short-cut to home button not using assistive touch or multitasking gestures.

jaypad1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using an iPad1 with IOS 5.1.1 and using a Kiosk app to offer access to a particular website. I have physically blocked access to the home button and disabled multitasking gestures and assistive touch but I keep finding the iPad either on the home screen or recently on the proprietary apple photos app (no photo stored on ipad and the Kiosk app does not allow or prompt access to photos). i am trying to figure out if there are a sequence of keys on the built-in keyboard that allow you to either use single or double click home button? HELP!!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I suppose the Kiosk app might be crashing back to the Home Screen after prolonged use.

Also, you don't' mention the power button. If it's accessible they could be doing a restart.

I'm not aware of anything that can be done on the touch keyboard that would let you exit the app.

OP
J

jaypad1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, I've got the power button blocked and as a back up have put pass-code on so even if they do get access to power button it ask for code on restart and sleep. I have a back up iPad with exactly the same settings running and it has not crashed in weeks, I truly think some peanut has figured out a sequence of keys or way to access the home button.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Has this iPad been in normal use before you set it up as an info kiosk?

Do you have any other apps open on the iPad?.....I ask because if you have, the iPad could be having a problem with ram and this is what is causing the crashing. Apps left open, while they are not actually running, do take up some ram. Your app could also just be playing up, so close it also and then relaunch it.

From the home screen do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar - Long press the app until it jiggles and a red minus sign will appear above it. Press the minus signs to close the apps completely.

Location settings also use ram, so close all these. Settings - Privacy - Location Services.

And then there's Safari which saves small bits of info from every site visited and also takes up ram. So deleting your history and cookies may make a difference here. Settings - Safari - Clear History and Clear Cookies and Data.

If it's only ever been used in this way then the above may not make a difference, although I would still clear Safari as your iPad accesses a site. I would try a reset of your iPad and see if this makes a difference here.

Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you may see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start.

You haven't said what model the other iPad is. iPad 1 only has 256mb of ram, the iPad 2 has 512 mb and the newer iPads have 1 gb. So just the kind of iPad you have can make a difference with a crashing issue.

I don't know of any sequence of keys on the keyboard which could cause this.

I hope this helps.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks, I've got the power button blocked and as a back up have put pass-code on so even if they do get access to power button it ask for code on restart and sleep. I have a back up iPad with exactly the same settings running and it has not crashed in weeks, I truly think some peanut has figured out a sequence of keys or way to access the home button.

I suppose it's possible. If it is happening it is more likely a bug in the kiosk app than the keyboard itself. Short of setting up a camera and seeing who messes with it, and how, I don't know how your are going to track it down.

OP
J

jaypad1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Has this iPad been in normal use before you set it up as an info kiosk?

Do you have any other apps open on the iPad?.....I ask because if you have, the iPad could be having a problem with ram and this is what is causing the crashing. Apps left open, while they are not actually running, do take up some ram. Your app could also just be playing up, so close it also and then relaunch it.

From the home screen do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar - Long press the app until it jiggles and a red minus sign will appear above it. Press the minus signs to close the apps completely.

Location settings also use ram, so close all these. Settings - Privacy - Location Services.

And then there's Safari which saves small bits of info from every site visited and also takes up ram. So deleting your history and cookies may make a difference here. Settings - Safari - Clear History and Clear Cookies and Data.

If it's only ever been used in this way then the above may not make a difference, although I would still clear Safari as your iPad accesses a site. I would try a reset of your iPad and see if this makes a difference here.

Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you may see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start.

You haven't said what model the other iPad is. iPad 1 only has 256mb of ram, the iPad 2 has 512 mb and the newer iPads have 1 gb. So just the kind of iPad you have can make a difference with a crashing issue.

I don't know of any sequence of keys on the keyboard which could cause this.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback. I actually have 2 x iPad1s next to each other with the same settings/App and they both have experienced the issue, I also have another iPad1 with exactly the same settings as a test unit and it never crashes so I'm at a loss. I normally do a full reset in settings before I install the App for the first time so its a fresh start and never have more than 1 or 2 Apps installed. I disable location services but the multi task bar / open apps might be a good point so I'll makes sure they are all closed.
thanks.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I actually have 2 x iPad1s next to each other with the same settings/App and they both have experienced the issue, I also have another iPad1 with exactly the same settings as a test unit and it never crashes so I'm at a loss. I normally do a full reset in settings before I install the App for the first time so its a fresh start and never have more than 1 or 2 Apps installed. I disable location services but the multi task bar / open apps might be a good point so I'll makes sure they are all closed. thanks.

I'm wondering if this isn't a ram issue as the iPad 1 has limited ram. Is the site that you have set up for access one which is graphic intensive? The more graphics a site has the more ram it will use.

The fact that both your iPads are doing the same thing could very well point to it being a ram issue. Your other iPad may not be doing it simply because it's not getting used that much.

If it does happen again go to Settings - General - About - Diagnostics and Usage - Diagnostics and Usage Data and if you see Low Memory data events there then it would be a ram issue at work here.

If it is this then the only thing you can really do is delete your Safari History and cookies daily. If it continues to happen after this, it may be time for newer iPads with larger ram capacity. Try it and see....hope this helps you.

OP
J

jaypad1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm wondering if this isn't a ram issue as the iPad 1 has limited ram. Is the site that you have set up for access one which is graphic intensive? The more graphics a site has the more ram it will use.

The fact that both your iPads are doing the same thing could very well point to it being a ram issue. Your other iPad may not be doing it simply because it's not getting used that much.

If it does happen again go to Settings - General - About - Diagnostics and Usage - Diagnostics and Usage Data and if you see Low Memory data events there then it would be a ram issue at work here.

If it is this then the only thing you can really do is delete your Safari History and cookies daily. If it continues to happen after this, it may be time for newer iPads with larger ram capacity. Try it and see....hope this helps you.

Ahh, thanks for that, I will check the logs and see if that is the case as the site/login page is all graphics plus I have not got clear cache / cookies selected so maybe it is crashing. I'll get the iPads back and check low memory as suggested. I do have newer model iPads but the older models have 3G and I actually think are a bit more robust. Cheers again.

Most reactions

Latest posts