What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using "Guided Access".

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This new feature introduced with iOS6 is sure to find some use among educators and parents who would like to lock the iPad into one app mode, so that the desired app cannot be closed.

To use it, go to Settings/General/Accessibility/Guided Access. Slide the Guided Access switch to turn the feature on, then set a password.

Next, go to the app you want to lock into, triple tap the home button, accept the defaults and touch START.

The iPad will now be locked into the app you have selected.

To leave Guided Access, triple tap the home button, enter the password and touch END.

With this feature active, the home button is inoperative and 4 finger swipes will not reveal the multitask bar or move to other running apps.

Inputting an incorrect password results in a 10 second pause before being allowed to try again.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Very interesting.....was this feature in iOS5? I think I saw it working in an Apple store long before now. Maybe those iPads were running the beta?

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Very interesting.....was this feature in iOS5? I think I saw it working in an Apple store long before now. Maybe those iPads were running the beta?

No. I saw it in the WWDC keynote which I only just got around to watching. We have had many people asking if its possible to lock out the home button for just this purpose. Now it is, and with many enhancements, such as turning off motion detection, turning off the touch screen or blocking parts of the screen. It's everything that people asked for, and then some.

iamikhael

iPF Noob
Reaction score
still can´t find a way, everytime i triple click the home button to exit, my passcode did not appear. It was still stucked on the app screen. Before I started the guided access I tried to disable (slide off) the touch option blocking access to the whole part of the screen. That´s why im not able to access all parts of the screen. but the problem is when I do the triple click home button exit, it still stucked. what im going to do please help me with this one.

Last edited:
OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Reboot the iPad by holding home and power buttons together until the Apple logo appears.

I had the same effect when I was exploring this function. I've sent a bug report to Apple. My advice at the moment is not to use this feature.

I am assured that Apple read all bug reports, but do not reply to them, so until an update appears for iOS 6, I will assume that this problem is going to be present. Sorry to have jumped the gun on this one, but everything appeared to be OK. The first couple of times I tried it, it worked. After that, nothing, and I've never had any problems with my home button, so I'm ruling out hardware.

Last edited:

iamikhael

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your response has been very helpful, don't know about that reboot key. Anyway, I restarted it and goes back to normal. Thank you very much!! Problem Solved. :D

thorne.studios

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can I get out of guided access without remembering the password?

Hi
I don't know if anyone has any ideas that could help me. We use iPads a lot at my special school with students with autism and it is very successful. However, one student, being generally more technology minded than the staff, has managed to reset the guided access password without our knowledge, so now we are locked into an app with no idea of the code! The student has learning disabilities and we don't know if he actually knows what he did - he certainly can't/won't unlock the app so we're a bit stuck. We've had the same problem as mentioned above with the home key not bringing up the pass code screen, but a restart has solved that one. This is a bit different. Any ideas would be gratefully received as we do want the students to be able to access a range of apps, not just one.
Thanks
Catherine

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You should be able to reset the password by going to Settings/General/Reset/Reset All Settings.

This should enable you to supply a new password.

Most reactions