What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen protector

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
kippyw said:
I have the ZAGG screen protector and it's great product. It seems to have some "intelligent" micro-composition that makes any bubbles or dust that you accidentally left under it disappear in a day or two after install. Very clean visually.
My only negative comment is that the "feel" of the touch screen now is more "plastic-like". I'll get used to it.
Did I need it? This is my first touch screen product, and from reading these reviews from pros.... sounds like I should have spent the money elsewhere.

When I first got my new iPad, I decided not to put a screen protector on it. But then a month ago I got an email from Zagg offering 50% percent off many of their products. So I bought the Zagg HD Invishield. Normally US$33 but marked down to US$17. Unlike their first product, this shield was a little bit harder or stiffer. It went on the iPad a little bit easier--since it wasn't so floppy.

After a month of using it, I still can't tell the difference when my iPad's screen was naked and now with this new HD screen. It does not feel plasticky at all. For what I paid, I consider this money well spent.

kippyw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MattIM said:
When I first got my new iPad, I decided not to put a screen protector on it. But then a month ago I got an email from Zagg offering 50% percent off many of their products. So I bought the Zagg HD Invishield. Normally US$33 but marked down to US$17. Unlike their first product, this shield was a little bit harder or stiffer. It went on the iPad a little bit easier--since it wasn't so floppy.

After a month of using it, I still can't tell the difference when my iPad's screen was naked and now with this new HD screen. It does not feel plasticky at all. For what I paid, I consider this money well spent.

OK, Now I feel better. This is exactly the deal I got.

georgeacosta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hrm. Personally I prefer the wet application. It's actually kind of fun and efficient. I'd recommend checking out Amazon. They have a wide variety of selection. I'm currently using ArmorSuit and it's been very solid.

6mildollarman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, apparently LifeProof is pretty confident with the durability of gorilla glass that they've decided to omit a screen protector from their upcoming Nuud waterproof case for the iPad. Okay, that was just my opinion, but it seems like a plausible reason. Maybe you can use this new case with the screen protector of your choice (though you think it may cause a warranty issue?).

image-3686546510.jpg

http://techcrunch.com/2012/06/21/meet-the-nuud-lifeproofs-new-waterproof-ultra-rugged-ipad-case/

(TechCrunch article)

Meet The Nuud: LifeProof’s New Waterproof Ultra-Rugged iPad Case

JORDAN CROOK
Thursday, June 21st, 201213 Comments

LifeProof has made a name for itself as a maker of super rugged iPhone cases that you can take in the ocean, to the beach, or even to the top of Mt. Everest. This thing can survive in some surprising environments. But today, the company has finally answered the call for a LifeProof iPad case, the Nuud. The case vacuums against the glass panel on the iPad so that there’s no front screen protector, allowing for the same tactile interaction we’ve all grown so fond of on Apple’ tablet.

But that’s not to say it loses any of its ruggedness — all the same specs migrate over from the iPhone case, including Military Grade shock and impact protection, waterproof up to 6.6 feet, and resistance against all the elements. Plus, you can plug in your headphones using the O-ring sealed headphone adapter, letting you take waterproof headphones into the pool or shower. (FYI, I would love to take care of the day’s obligatory phone calls in the shower.)

The iPad case comes with four small inserts on each corner to let you attach straps and carry it as a briefcase, alone with port covers that vacuum seal just as tight as the case itself. The camera cover is made of the same type of glass that you would find in a Nikon or Canon DSLR camera, anti-reflective on both sides.

Now, since the iPad has a capacitive display, the screen won’t work when submerged under water. That’s not to say it can’t be submerged — it would be just fine. But that’s not the point of the case. The point is to feel comfortable using your iPad at the pool or in the tub or in the rain. The LifeProof iPhone case, on the other hand, can be used under water to take pictures because of the physical shutter button.

The sheer durability of the iPhone case case along with its usability has let people do some crazy things with their iPhones — things that would make any iPhone addict cringe at the mere thought of them — but just take a look (if you dare).

georgeacosta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
everyone's definitely used a respective brand of protector; however, has anyone had a chance to compare any of them? I think that'd be the most interesting thread.

axis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have always used screen protectors on my work and personal mobile phones and blackberry devices as they spend a large portion of their time in my trouser pockets with coins, keys and other screen trashers.

I have also always used screen protectors on my kids gaming devices, particularly the DSs where a fair amount of stylus work is used - kids are quite heavy handed!

So far I am managing to hold back in my natural inclination to put a bit of plastic over the beautiful retina display on my 3rd gen iPad. I have a quality leather folio case with a fold over screen cover that protects the device well when not in use. I am not using any stylus' on my iPad at the moment so I doubt my screen is at any significant risk (unless of course my kids have away with it while I'm not looking!)

iDeviceGuru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DoVinci said:
Do I really need a screen protector on my new iPad? Seriously, I don't want to affect my retina display, it is so awesome.

I don't go for screen protectors either but they are extremely cheap and just a clear screen protector won't ruin your experience with the retina display. I just bought a couple smart covers, they are fantastic for screen protection, style and good stands also.

The iDevice Guru

orytek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been able to change my thinking about screen protection and apple devices. After using an iPad 2 for over a year without a screen protector, I still couldn't find even the faintest scratch. Sold it on ebay as being in mint condition.
Now with my iPad 3 I certainly won't consider needing a protector for that screen either. The iPad needs a protector for the case but not the screen. Even using various stylus's this gorilla glass seems indestructible.

ipadluva69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Screen protectors, ROCK especially when you have the best out there!!

I bought infinite products quasar screen protectors for a steal .... The appearance has a diamond look, and it is awesome on the iPad 3. They were 12.95 from my gear store and worthy every dime!

bluehorde

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a boxwave screen protector. The clear touch is the best. I don't even notice its there. It excellent! Especially if you have a 3 year old hogging the iPad.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Most reactions