What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen protector

DoVinci

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do I really need a screen protector on my new iPad? Seriously, I don't want to affect my retina display, it is so awesome.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, everyone has an opinion about "yes" or "no" for screen protectors. All you can do is decide on your own.

I can tell you that I did not have one on my iPad1 that I used for 18 months, nor do I currently have one on my 8-month old iPhone or my 3-month old iPad3. None of these devices have a scratch. I, personally, don't care for them because I don't like the feel...

Of course and as always, YMMV.

Marilyn

Krooked

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do I really need a screen protector on my new iPad? Seriously, I don't want to affect my retina display, it is so awesome.

Unless your circus act requires you to juggle your iPad with 2 diamond coated chainsaws, you should be fine without a screen protector.

My iPad endures handling that would make most iPad users cringe. The screen is still like new. As for the rest of the iPad's surfaces? Notsomuch.

Save your money and buy a nice case/cover to protect the back of the iPad instead.

OP
D

DoVinci

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I think I won't get any. The color is so nice without it. Thanks guys

dchristo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have cracked the screen-protector code!

You've seen all those ads for $24.95 screen protectors (plus $20 for some clown in the back room to install 'em?) You've found that nothing short of a NASA clean room will keep dust and bubbles out from under the protector? Fuggettaboudit! Save your time and money with this timely tip.

You know what clear plastic film transparencies are? You know, the 8x11 clear plastic sheets you used to run through the copier to make overhead slides for PowerPoint shows, before projectors got cheap? Buy a small pack of them, or heist a couple from the office (I'm using 3M's clear film.) Cut them down to 6.5 x 8 inches. Then buy a bottle of rubber cement from the store's school-supplies section. That's it - that's all you need.

Clean your 'pad's screen and the film thoroughly with a microfiber cloth. Brush a small dab of rubber cement onto the extreme corners of the film. Then stick it on your 'pad and let the cement dry overnight. That's it.

If you're uncomfortable with the rubber cement, Scotch REMOVABLE Double-Sided Tape (available for $5 a roll from Amazon) at the corners will substitute just fine.

You'll find that since there's no adhesive coating the back of the film, once the film is laid down there're no bubbles - none at all. You can shift the film and re-stick it easily if needed. Your finger will glide easily over the clear film, and there is no loss of color or clarity, or of screen sensitivity to gestures, etc. And the film is maybe twice as thick as your typical screen protector, so it gives super protection.

When you want to put on a fresh film, the rubber cement will either lift off clean with the film, or roll into a little ball (just like you remember from school) and leave no residue behind on the screen. The Removable Double-Sided Tape also leaves no residue.

And there you have it - Zagg's Worst Nightmare, free of charge from DCHRISTO.

Last edited:
OP
D

DoVinci

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perhaps I should give it a shot. Sounds interesting.

Jgo24

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had one on my iPads one and it made the screen really sensitive . I liked it. But I agree with others no need for a screen saver if you have a good carrier

applechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dchristo said:
I have cracked the screen-protector code!

You've seen all those ads for $24.95 screen protectors? Forget 'em.

You know what film transparencies are? You know, the 8x11 plastic sheets you run through the copier to make PowerPoint slides? Buy a small pack of them, or heist a couple from the office (I'm using 3M's clear film.) Cut them down to 6.5 x 8 inches. Buy a bottle of rubber cement from the store's school-supplies section. That's all you need..

Clean your 'pad's screen thoroughly. Brush a small-small-small dab of rubber cement onto the extreme corners of the film. Then stick it on your 'pad. That's it.

You'll find that since there's no adhesive coating the back of the film, there're no bubbles - none at all. You can shift the film and re-stick it easily if needed. Your finger will glide easily over the clear film, and there is no loss of color or clarity, or of screen sensitivity to gestures, etc. And the film is maybe twice as thick as your typical screen protector, so it gives super protection.

When you want to put on a fresh film, the rubber cement will roll cleanly into a little ball (just like you remember from school) and leave no residue behind on the screen.

And there you have it - Zagg's Worst Nightmare, free of charge from DCHRISTO.

I may try that..... Thanks :)

Erwaso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got a $5 anti glare screen protector from tj maxx (ross has em too). My team at work all got new iPads and there's no noticeable difference between mine and the naked screens.

Last edited:

Adrian23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Outterbox defender!! best thing ever made. I have it all my apple devices 4s and ipad3

susanlackey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use them on my phones, but decided not to on my iPad. I have a nice case for it, and it doesn't get thrown around or abused nearly as much as my phones do.

cwinter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a case that protects the back and of course flaps over the screen for magnetic on and off. I see no reason for a screen protector. When the pad goes in the laptop bag the screen is protected. When it is not in use, the screen is protected. When I use it, I just sit there and run my finger over it, which is what its designed purpose is. My finger won't scratch the screen. From the feel of it, you'd have to run something sharp over the screen to start scratching it and I just don't see putting the iPad in such a situation. I'd be different if I just just the back covered, not the front, but when not in use, it is always fully covered. Unlike a phone, I don't stick the iPad in my pants pocket where keys could scratch it.

That being said, I haven't used a screen cover or case on any of my mobiles phones lately (non-Apple) and even those have 0 scratches from what I can tell. Hardware is pretty tough these days. :)

kippyw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the ZAGG screen protector and it's great product. It seems to have some "intelligent" micro-composition that makes any bubbles or dust that you accidentally left under it disappear in a day or two after install. Very clean visually.
My only negative comment is that the "feel" of the touch screen now is more "plastic-like". I'll get used to it.
Did I need it? This is my first touch screen product, and from reading these reviews from pros.... sounds like I should have spent the money elsewhere.

Most reactions

Latest posts