What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen protector or no?

pianoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with everyone who is saying that the protectors do indeed protect the glass. They all work as advertised as I've used a protector for every single iDevice I've ever owned and have traded them all back to a Best Buy or an Amazon.com for top price. As somebody else said - it's protecting the backs from scratches that's a little more of the issue than the glass - though the glass DOES scratch much easier than is being characterized here in this thread. (my windshield of my car is riddled with scratches by way of example). It's true the glass is way more resistant to scratches than the plastic screens of the Treo days. But glass still scratches you have to turn it a certain way in the light to see the surface and the scratches. But those of you who don't use protection you might be surprised to see how many scratches are already on your glass.

I have ended up always using a case/folio for my iPads and therefore not using a protector for the back of my iPads anymore. But I still use one for the glass for the reasons others have mentioned - namely that I can't stand all the fingerprints on the bear glass and the shields (at least the Zagg InvisiShield) protect from oily fingers way better than the 'mythical' coating on the glass Apple says exists.

I will agree, however, that there is ever so slight a change in the way the retina display looks on my iPad 3 with my shield protector. Since I use a folio to keep my iPad in I will likely rip off the shield eventually to get back to "unprotected text" (love that - lol!). When you hand an iPad 3 to a Zagg vendor do they automatically install the HD version for you? I handed them back my screen protector that I had on my iPad 2 that I tore off before I traded it in and they gave me their 15$ warranty replacement (brand new one). Do you actually have to specify "HD" to them?

Last edited:

georgeacosta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Krooked

Thank you for your response. You are correct. You need a lot of abuse and neglect to scratch your device but it is very simply to do so. Take a car for example, my car has many scratches yet I drive very safe. Just a thought. Thanks for everyones opinion though.

I've opted to use ArmorSuit because of some of its awesome features.

chokem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im not putting one on my IP3. I didn't have one on my IP1, and it was scratch free when I sold it. I'm extremely careful with my devices though.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
chokem said:
Im not putting one on my IP3. I didn't have one on my IP1, and it was scratch free when I sold it. I'm extremely careful with my devices though.

I'm being to wonder if some of us own stock in companies that sell screen protectors. :)

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
I'm being to wonder if some of us own stock in companies that sell screen protectors. :)

Two words - Cognitive dissonance

I do it too, just not for screen protectors.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts