What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen and other problems after update to IOS8

ArthurNYC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have iPad3 and iPadAir. A day or so after the update iPad3 screen froze. Had to hard shutdown the device. A few days later, iPadAir started to do the same. Still happenin to both devices. Today iOadAir started to crash. In the middle of reading something it will shutdown and the Apple logo will appear...happened about 6 times this evening. The iPad3 once just shutdown. Had to turn it on and it too a few tries.
Some Photo Apps are not displaying all the photos in the Photo gallery like they used too

Anybody else has the same issues(s) or can offer any help please?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In case you updated over the air (Wi-Fi only), then restore them using iTunes. This should resolve your problems, maybe not all of them, but most of them.

Back up your iPads before restoring and make sure that the latest version of iTunes is installed on your computer.

After restoring, reset your devices: press and hold Home and Power button at the same time until the Apple logo appears. Release both and let it power up.

LoveRem36

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After updating to 8.2 my iPad 3 went blank/black. The next day after fiddling with it I got an icon of a USB with an arrow above it and an iTunes icon above that so I assumed I was to plug into my laptop and tune into iTunes, I did, however iTunes no longer recognised my iPad, I had to register all over again. Then I found out that the iCloud was empty, nothing there. I've lost my photos, music, apps and games. All I have is the icons I got with my iPad new. When I try to download a game or App, the little circle just keeps going round and round, on the icon page I get a gray game icon and under it says waiting... I guess it will wait forever.
I haven't been able to restore anything at all, I"ve written here 4 times but it just disappears on me, strange. My iPad 3G 64 GB, also have iPad 1 and

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you had taken an iCloud backup, it should have been there. Cross check whether your backup is intact by visiting www.icloud.com. Sign in and see whther you have your data there.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The icloud.com site has nothing to do with your backup. It should contain your contacts, calendar events, mail, and some other stuff, provided you've had iCloud turned on for those services. But your backup is not shown there.

Go to Settings > iCloud and sign in with your Apple ID, or iCloud Account ID if it is different.

Check under Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage. If there is more than one device shown, pick the device you are using.

You should be able to see your last backup, it's size, and what apps were turned on to be backed up.

If you have the backup, go to Settings > General > Reset and choose Erase All Contents and Settings. Since you've already lost everything, there is little risk in this.

After it has restored you iPad will take you through several steps. One of them should be the option to restore from iCloud. Do that and choose the backup when it's presented.

The backup will restore your content first, then start downloading the apps. This can take quite a while, so it's best to leave your iPad on the charger. If it has not restored everything after a few hours you may choose to restart the iPad. It should pick up restoring your apps. I had to restart my iPhone twice, because I have so many apps and the phone got bogged down with them.

Note, that apps will appear grayed out until they have finished downloading. This is normal.

Last edited:

LoveRem36

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The icloud.com site has nothing to do with your backup. It should contain your contacts, calendar events, mail, and some other stuff, provided you've had iCloud turned on for those services. But your backup is not shown there.

Go to Settings > iCloud and sign in with your Apple ID, or iCloud Account ID if it is different.

Check under Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage. If there is more than one device shown, pick the device you are using.

You should be able to see your last backup, it's size, and what apps were turned on to be backed up.

If you have the backup, go to Settings > General > Reset and choose Erase All Contents and Settings. Since you've already lost everything, there is little risk in this.

After it has restored you iPad will take you through several steps. One of them should be the option to restore from iCloud. Do that and choose the backup when it's presented.

The backup will restore your content first, then start downloading the apps. This can take quite a while, so it's best to leave your iPad on the charger. If it has not restored everything after a few hours you may choose to restart the iPad. It should pick up restoring your apps. I had to restart my iPhone twice, because I have so many apps and the phone got bogged down with them.

Note, that apps will appear grayed out until they have finished downloading. This is normal.
OK, here goes, will try to find this thread to let you know the outcome, hope I'm posting in the right place

LoveRem36

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Everything went exactly perfect. Your instructions were amazing thank you so much, I appreciate the time you spent typing all that. I checked and my apps and games are downloading properly. Got my music back but struck out on photos.
Again, thank you

OP
A

ArthurNYC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In case you updated over the air (Wi-Fi only), then restore them using iTunes. This should resolve your problems, maybe not all of them, but most of them.

Back up your iPads before restoring and make sure that the latest version of iTunes is installed on your computer.

After restoring, reset your devices: press and hold Home and Power button at the same time until the Apple logo appears. Release both and let it power up.
Yes, I upda over WiFi only. Took your advice and applied to both devices last night. Will update this thread after a couple days of use. Thank you for your input.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Everything went exactly perfect. Your instructions were amazing thank you so much, I appreciate the time you spent typing all that. I checked and my apps and games are downloading properly. Got my music back but struck out on photos.
Again, thank you

No problem.

Most reactions

Latest posts