What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sat nav ipad (1st gen/2nd gen)

DJP1984

iPF Noob
Reaction score
is it good idea use sat nav via ipad 1 or ipad 2...

1) is it good idea for use sat nav in car?
2) is it too big for car sat nav? - (i not mind size really...)
3) is ipad 2 sat nav more reponsive that ipad 1? yes or no?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The iPad can work quite well as a sat nav - there's no problem there - and several suppliers make holders to support the iPad when it's in your car - some have suction pads that attach to the car's windshield and then a clamp to safely hold the iPad in a position that doesn't obstruct the driver's view.

The iPad's native 'Maps' app has a sat nav function, but it downloads maps dynamically - as-and-when needed - so you need a 3G connection. Other third party apps store the maps locally on the iPad, but are not free.

You need to be aware too that the GPS functionality of the iPad is on the same 'chip' that contains the 3G circuitry, so you need to get the 3G iPad if you want to use GPS.

Tim
Scotland

OP
D

DJP1984

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The iPad can work quite well as a sat nav - there's no problem there - and several suppliers make holders to support the iPad when it's in your car - some have suction pads that attach to the car's windshield and then a clamp to safely hold the iPad in a position that doesn't obstruct the driver's view.

The iPad's native 'Maps' app has a sat nav function, but it downloads maps dynamically - as-and-when needed - so you need a 3G connection. Other third party apps store the maps locally on the iPad, but are not free.

You need to be aware too that the GPS functionality of the iPad is on the same 'chip' that contains the 3G circuitry, so you need to get the 3G iPad if you want to use GPS.

Tim
Scotland

cheers thanks

danrivito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad2 3G model with Navigon app is incredible.

I travel for work and have found this to be incredibly convenient. Huge list of POI's and the ability to Google search for those places not in the list.

Pinch to zoom on maps works faster than Google Maps and is incredibly accurate.

Best set up I've had, and I've owned countless stand alone GPS devices and all in one car entertainment systems.

Most reactions

Latest posts