What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sat Nav on IPad Air

Jeannie1805

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, new IPad Air user (never even had a Smart phone) what do I need to use Sat Nav - I have Wi-Fi plus Cellular capabilities. Was told by Apple team before I purchased my IPad that I would be able to use Sat Nav for free if I took cellular model. I have tried Googling for help but have seen various conflicting reports which assume I know more than I do (most assume basic knowledge of smart phone) . I have no need for WiFi outside my home EXCEPT TO BE ABLE TO USE SAT NAV so that would make it expensive if I had to take a monthly subscription. Would greatly appreciate any help.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You don't need a cellular data plan in order to use thecGPS capabilities of your WiGi plus cellular iPad Air. You don't need a WiFi connection either. Your iPad will directly receive signals from the orbiting GPS satellites. You do, though, need to download one of the many apps that provide offline maps. These range from free to quite expensive.

I've used several navigation apps such as Navigon, Ulmon Pro CityMaps2Go, Smart Maps, etc.

OP
Jeannie1805

Jeannie1805

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tks scifan57 - I tried using Google map app which worked perfectly with VoiceOver or straight map info, but no joy once I was away from my home. What settings would I need to have On/Off to have it work without WiFi? Please be very basic with any info. (Read your notes and it took me 20 minutes to find how to add avatar !!! sorry - didn't know where or what User CP is ). Fine now - information is power Yea!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tks scifan57 - I tried using Google map app which worked perfectly with VoiceOver or straight map info, but no joy once I was away from my home. What settings would I need to have On/Off to have it work without WiFi? Please be very basic with any info. (Read your notes and it took me 20 minutes to find how to add avatar !!! sorry - didn't know where or what User CP is ). Fine now - information is power Yea!
Airplane mode has to be turned off. Turning it on shuts off all communications, including GPS. Airplane mode can be accessed from the control centre by swiping up from the bottom of the screen. The icon is dark when airplane mode is off.
image.jpg

Leave WiFi on as well. When connected to a WiFi hotspot, you can use it to cache Apple Maps for wherever you're going to. Apple maps are automatically cached for offline use whenever the maps app is opened and a map is displayed.

To display the map for a particular area, enter the location in the search box at the top of the page.
image.jpg

These directions assume that you'll be using Apple Maps for offline navigation instead of one of the many navigation apps available in the App Store. To find these apps, enter navigation in the search box in the AppStore. The various apps offer different feature sets that may or may not satisfy your needs. In any case, trying out offline navigation with Apple Maps will allow you to get practice in using your iPad as a navigation tool.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Google Maps requires an Internet connection to provide the maps and directions. Once away from your wifi, you'll need a cellular connection.

If you get one of the dedicated GPS apps mentioned above, everything will be on the iPad, and then you won't need the cellular data connection.

Most reactions

Latest posts