What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari momentarily displays wrong website page then quickly corrects and loads to requested page.

gsneilsen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have cleared my history and website data. But sometimes when I click on Safari it initially loads a stored screen shot for a different website than the last one observed. It happens most frequently when I close safari with the ipad held horizontally. Then I rotate it vertically and reopen safari. It opens a stored screen shot for a half second before opening up the last observed website. How come?

galen joeckel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have cleared my history and website data. But sometimes when I click on Safari it initially loads a stored screen shot for a different website than the last one observed. It happens most frequently when I close safari with the ipad held horizontally. Then I rotate it vertically and reopen safari. It opens a stored screen shot for a half second before opening up the last observed website. How come?

Curiously, no one has responded to this. I've been waiting since you asked the question for someone else to explain this. I was glad to hear someone else noticed this phenomena. For me at first, I thought I was going crazy or perhaps a byproduct from my 60's flashbacks, but it shows up for me in both Safari and Puffin Browser (paid version, which I highly recommend BTW!). It is a very fleeting view of a previous web page. The latest was Puffin browser just last week when an Amazon page showed, then immediaately went to the start page. At first the thought of someone hacking in using my iPad came to my mind. I did a quick check and such is not the case. If you find out via another route what causes this please let me know. Between you and me, it will remain a mystery, but I can't quite believe it it limited to only you and me... ciao. Galen in Maine

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If the iPad has enough RAM, it tends to keep the last state of an app in RAM; so you can switch back to it quickly if needed. I will usually do this for the last 3 to a dozen apps; depending on model, available RAM, and the size of the apps involved.

Normally, this doesn't mean those apps are running. They are just sitting there, frozen, waiting. If another app is opened that needs the RAM the oldest frozen app(s) will be purged to make room.

If you are going to a new site by tapping on a link in another app, or by using a home screen shortcut, it wouldn't be unusual for Safari (or another browser) to temporary show you the last site you were on before the new site has started to load.

If this is something happening when you are already in Safari and choose another link (from a bookmark or favorites), I have no idea what's happening. Not unless your link is some kind of redirect from the site first shown.

Most reactions

Latest posts