What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari crashing.

Tourbillon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm running the most updated software but i still seem to have trouble with Safari. My iPad 2 i a 32gb and has plenty of space still but very often whilst i'm browsing safari crashes and the menu appears, i then reenter safari and all my tabs are gone and a new session starts. The problem occurs even when there's two browsers open and no other apps are running in the background. Can anyone identify the issue?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tourbillon said:
I'm running the most updated software but i still seem to have trouble with Safari. My iPad 2 i a 32gb and has plenty of space still but very often whilst i'm browsing safari crashes and the menu appears, i then reenter safari and all my tabs are gone and a new session starts. The problem occurs even when there's two browsers open and no other apps are running in the background. Can anyone identify the issue?

This could be a ram issue at work here. Certain sites can use a huge amount of ram and as Safari keeps closing completely when it crashes I would think this is the issue. Safari also saves bits of data from every website you've ever visited, so if you surf the net a lot you could have a lot of ram used in this way. Have a look in Settings - Safari if you press the Advanced tab and website data, you will see a list of every site visited. Clearing out your cookies and history in Safari should help here. Do you run a lot of location services as these will use ram also, so try to keep these to a minimum. Others may have other theories here, I'd be interested to hear them too.

OP
Tourbillon

Tourbillon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leelai said:
This could be a ram issue at work here. Certain sites can use a huge amount of ram and as Safari keeps closing completely when it crashes I would think this is the issue. Safari also saves bits of data from every website you've ever visited, so if you surf the net a lot you could have a lot of ram used in this way. Have a look in Settings - Safari if you press the Advanced tab and website data, you will see a list of every site visited. Clearing out your cookies and history in Safari should help here. Do you run a lot of location services as these will use ram also, so try to keep these to a minimum. Others may have other theories here, I'd be interested to hear them too.

No location services are ever enabled, i never allow sites or anything as such to see my location. I will clear my browser history, that sounds like a good idea. In regards to the sites i visit, i'm a law student so during studies its all text, hardly any multimedia. During leisure surfing i mostly visit blogs and online news outlets. Tbh if a browser can't handle a few pictures at most on websites then questions need to be asked :/ Furthermore the problem has now spread to other apps aswell, even this forums app crashes tooo often!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is strange for an ipad2 to be happening so much. You say you close your apps completely too which makes it even stranger. When was the last time you did a restart and reset. Doing a restart occasionally is a good idea, and if your iPad is behaving strangely as yours is a reset is also a very good idea.
Restart: Press and hold the power off button, the one at the top right. You will see a slide appear to power off, slide this and the screen will go dark and a Whirly will appear. When the Whirly disappears your iPad is now off. Press the power button again until the Apple logo appears, this will take a few seconds and your iPad will restart. You should restart your iPad occasionally also as it will keep it running well. Now see if it is operating. If not a reset is the next step.

Reset: Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you will see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start.

You may even find your iPad being a little more responsive after a reset. Let us know how you go.

Most reactions

Latest posts