What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari

wayneborean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 1, 64 gb, WiFi. It gets a lot of use for research, and Safari is driving me nuts because it crashes all of the time.

So I'm looking for a replacement browser. By a replacement I don't mean something that sits on top of Safari and pretends to offer something extra, I mean something that totally replaces the Safari engine. Other applications that rely on Safari like some of the newspaper applications are also unstable. Safari is the culprit.

Applications that don't use Safari run fine (in case you are wondering how I can tell, I'm a journalist who writes about technology, and I asked).

Suggestions anyone? Right now if Safari could be rated in the App Store I'd give it one star.

Wayne

dMog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
safari should not be crashing..are you doing anyhting else that you need to tell the forum about?

OP
W

wayneborean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dMog said:
safari should not be crashing..are you doing anyhting else that you need to tell the forum about?

Besides sometimes having a few tabs open, no. How could I be doing anything else. IPads do not multitask. Of course I have no idea what Apple has running in the background. That I can't see.

I do have most "location services" turned off. I value my privacy, but none of them have anything to do with Safari directly, and most of those apps (NHL Gamecenter for example) I hate and use rarely.

Wayne

OP
W

wayneborean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dMog said:

And just to confirm, "Location Services" for Safari is turned off. The only apps that I have it turned on for are "Find my iPad" and "Twitter", the only applications that I want to know where I am.

Wayne

jmccamb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try the following:

Double click the home button and hold and close the safari icon with the red minus sign. Head into setting and under safari click clear browsing data and history and whatever other option they give you. Relaunch safari and try it out.

If that doesn't work try a hard reset by holding down the home and sleep button for over 10 seconds. Ignore the red power off slider. It should restart to the apple logo.

If that doesn't work you may want to consider turning off iCloud bookmark sync if you have it enabled. Corrupted settings can cause the iPad to attempt to check for new bookmarks constantly.

The last option is to go into settings and choose reset all settings under the resets menu. This will clear all settings associated with your system such and reset the, to the defaults. Some people experience corrupted settings from restoring from a previous backup after updating to ios5. All your data will remain such as your apps, photos, etc. You will however have to renter your wireless password and things of that nature.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the same problem, very annoying, especially if you are entering a forum thread post and it crashes out of the blue:thumbsdown:.

I have tried other web browsers (on the iPad) and they crash too. I suspect that the problem must be in some iOS elements used by all web browsers.

OP
W

wayneborean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jmccamb said:
Try the following:

Double click the home button and hold and close the safari icon with the red minus sign. Head into setting and under safari click clear browsing data and history and whatever other option they give you. Relaunch safari and try it out.

If that doesn't work try a hard reset by holding down the home and sleep button for over 10 seconds. Ignore the red power off slider. It should restart to the apple logo.

If that doesn't work you may want to consider turning off iCloud bookmark sync if you have it enabled. Corrupted settings can cause the iPad to attempt to check for new bookmarks constantly.

The last option is to go into settings and choose reset all settings under the resets menu. This will clear all settings associated with your system such and reset the, to the defaults. Some people experience corrupted settings from restoring from a previous backup after updating to ios5. All your data will remain such as your apps, photos, etc. You will however have to renter your wireless password and things of that nature.

Haven't had time to try that, but I did end up resetting my iPad (I'm trying to get my music library straightened out, iTunes is messing up my CD imports for some reason). I manually edited my library, and much to my annoyance, when my iPad reloaded, all of the music is all mixed up. Again. Argh.

FYI, I like Filk, the music of Science Fiction and Fantasy, and I am beginning to suspect part of the problem is that iTunes doesn't know what any of the songs are. Filk is the "real" alternative music. Production runs of CDs often are less than 200 discs.

Wayne

Bluesjam

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the same problem, it's in the OS. Started as soon as I downloaded 5. We need 5.1 to fix these problems.

OP
W

wayneborean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
RAC said:
I too am convinced that the problem stated with iOS 5.

Um, that may be true, but since I reinstalled everything Safari hasn't restarted. So far.

Mind you I still have that idiotic problem with my iTunes library.

Wayne

OP
W

wayneborean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wayneborean said:
Um, that may be true, but since I reinstalled everything Safari hasn't restarted. So far.

Mind you I still have that idiotic problem with my iTunes library.

Wayne

Oh joy. The forum software is crashing now. Right as I hit the send button on the last message.

The message did post, so that is good.

Wayne

OP
W

wayneborean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rey_1178 said:
Thought I was the only one.same issue since I went to 5.0.1 in my iPad 1

You aren't the only one, but since I reset my iPad Safari has not crashed once. Why doing a reset, and complete reinstall of all the software should make a difference, well, your guess is as good as mine.

In theory it shouldn't.

Wayne

Most reactions

Latest posts