What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best browser for iPad 1?

Annorax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently received a 64gb, 3g+Wifi iPad 1. I know it's old but it is in great condition and works relatively well. I'm new to tablets (but quite comfortable with computers) and I'm enjoying learning how to use this one.

I've managed to figure out how to find apps that still work on iOS 5.1.1 (download via iTunes first). One thing I haven't been able to find is a web browser that suits my needs. I have pretty basic needs but for some reason, on all browsers I've tried, none of the web pages I regularly use work on one specific browser. For example:

1.) symbaloo.com (my home page for bookmarks): Only Chrome and Opera keep it logged in. Safari, Dolphin, and Mercury won't stay logged in after I leave the web page.
2.) feedly.com (RSS feeds): This won't load at all in Opera and Chrome refuses to log me in (I log in successfully but it turns out I'm really not). Safari crashes if I fully expand a feed.
3.) facebook.com: Opera only loads the mobile version and Mercury crashes.

Is mobile software still young and growing or is my iPad too old to reliably use such software?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Atomic Web Browser is the only third part web browser I have that says it is still iOS 5.x compatible. Actually it goes back as afar as iOS 4.3. There is is Lite version you can try before you buy.

I rarely use third party browsers, but I do keep a few around for the rare occasions Safari doesn't do what I need. Atomic is the lightest of these feature wise, but has a clean/pleasing interface (imo).

As for your site not remembering you in Safari:

Go to Settings > Safari and look at the allow cookies settings. It should not be allow all or block all. Instead it should use the middle settings that says either block third party and advertisers sites or allow only the current site. I don't remember the exact wording, and no longer have an iOS 5.0 device to check.

Sites that remember you use cookies to do this.

While "allow all" would work, it's not very secure.

Good luck.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It is unfortunate for anyone still using an Ipad 1 (we have two still in good condition, though battery is low on one) but developers pretty much stopped doing upgrades for IOS 5 since so many had migrated to newer model Ipads and IOS upgrades. I read today that IOS 7 use is now at 90% so most developers just don't see the economics of spending the time to optimize apps for use in IOS 5--and IOS 7 and IOS 5 are really night and day different--or at least dusk and day LOL. Nonetheless, it is a good intro to the Ipad and usable for a lot of things.

Most reactions