What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumor: iPad 3 to be announced on March 7

Milanno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By AppleInsider Staff

With iPad 3 rumors swirling and purported component pictures continuing to slowly leak out, many are guessing that the launch of Apple's newest tablet is imminent, and new information suggests that the date will be March 7.

Citing a "reliable source," Apple blog iMore on Monday claimed that the much anticipated iPad 3 announcement will take place on Wednesday, March 7, which jibes with a previous report from All Things D that said an iPad event was being scheduled for the first week in March.

Lending further credence to the new claim is Apple's tradition of holding events such as major product launches on Wednesdays and a recent report that big-box retailer Meijer is offering a deep discount on the iPad 2 "while supplies last."

Anecdotal evidence that Apple resellers run low on stock of a certain product can sometimes offer a hint that a replacement or next generation device is soon to arrive.

The new iPad is rumored to carry a high-res Retina Display, possibly manufactured by Sharp, as well as a redesigned case that could allow for a larger battery than current models. It was reported that in order to implement the high pixel density screen, a unique dual LED backlighting arrangement would be needed, and the larger battery could be in response to the extra energy requirements.

Earlier today, photos emerged of an alleged iPad 3 that was almost fully assembled, and purportedly shows some minor design tweaks as well as the speculated QXGA 9.7-inch display.

What remains to be seen is whether the device's expected A6 processor will sport a new quad-core architecture or merely boost the specs of the iPad 2's A5 chip. Also up in the air is whether the new iPad will gain 4G wireless functionality, which will allow the tablet to connect with LTE networks such as those from Verizon and AT&T.

Source: http://www.appleinsider.com

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
By AppleInsider Staff

Source: http://www.appleinsider.com

This is now becoming like a pendulum sometimes it swings in the favour of, that it will not be bulky as it is gonna use the IGZO display developed by sharp which doesn’t require a Dual LED lighting, and sometimes it says it will require a Dual LED Light hence the bigger battery. Though everyone is talking about Display Panels being developed by Sharp. There is another Rumour Mill in South Korea which says that the workers in the LG Display Plant in Seoul are working overtime to be able to cope-up with the timely supply of the Display Panels for the iPad-3.

God knows what’s gonna happen !! Steve in the heaven would be chuckling on how things are moving ! Especially with the Rumours reaching such a unprecedented new heights !! :p

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since you mentioned Sharp, does anyone know more about Sharp`s products quality?

I dont know if this comes to you as a big shock ;) But the Retina Display that you see on the iPhone 4 and 4S has been developed by Sharp :)

Correction it is LG Display and not Sharp. :(

Last edited:
OP
Milanno

Milanno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dont know if this comes to you as a big shock ;) But the Retina Display that you see on the iPhone 4 and 4S has been developed by Sharp

I never had interest to know who made Retina display for iPhone 4S, but its great to hear that Sharp is able to develop & produce such amazing display :)

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
They did with iPhone 4s but now I am a little uncomfortable with they developing it for iPad-3 because here they are talking about completely using a new Display technology IGZO which has not been used, tested or there have not been any documented reports anywhere in the world of how the IGZO display is !! Had they been using the traditional IPS display which features in the iPad. iPad-2 and would have added more pixels and Dual LED lights to it. That would have been a safe Bet. But now only Sharp and the Team working on iPad-3 from Apple know how this damn IGZO thing is :confused:

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok I know the release of the iPad is near and yes I know we are all excited but for the moment everything is rumors. No I am not closing the thread however please restrain from linking to other sites and posting stuff that really is rumors and nothing more. We welcome constructive comments thoughts and of course your input that is what the forum is about. So I hope you all understand that we do not allow links to blogs on other sites period so please please avoid this. Enjoy and happy posting and yes I will be first in line for an iPad 3 or what ever Apple calls it when it is released in Australia.

Oh one more thing..........

I started with Apple as a user in 1978 and have used, purchased or tested almost every product they have produce good and bad and personally I have total confidence in what Apple will provide in the upcoming iPad release. What one has to understand this development for the latest iPad has been going on for years not just months so relax and enjoy what they serve up....Bon appetite

OP
Milanno

Milanno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok I know the release of the iPad is near and yes I know we are all excited but for the moment everything is rumors. No I am not closing the thread however please restrain from linking to other sites and posting stuff that really is rumors and nothing more.

Thanx for warning/advice. I promise that I will avoid posting any further info/rumors on this forum & I totally agree with your arguments.

edit: Can anyone explain what exacly IGZO display means? (I just found this - 330 dpi / without IPS or a dual-bar backlight)

Last edited:

socialfactoryuk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was just reading a blog today about iPad 3... It says that the iPad would have a Quad Core processor.. that'll be amazing... because rest of the iPad are pretty slow

Last edited by a moderator:

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As we get closer to the day that Apple releases the new iPad, the rumors will be hot and heavy. Apple has a tendency to leak most of the features ahead of time to trusted sources. Howevr, they have also been known to leak false information to stir the pot. Or to be more precise, to gauge the public attitude for the next generation's potential features. I have no doubts that March 7 will be the day they announce the next iPad. It will have more processing power, and better resolution. It will be priced the same, and there will be one last thing. Other than those basic considerations, all bets are off. For the iphone lovers, the iPhone 5 will have the same processor as the new iPad, so this gives a good look at it.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As we get closer to the day that Apple releases the new iPad, the rumors will be hot and heavy. Apple has a tendency to leak most of the features ahead of time to trusted sources. Howevr, they have also been known to leak false information to stir the pot. Or to be more precise, to gauge the public attitude for the next generation's potential features. I have no doubts that March 7 will be the day they announce the next iPad. It will have more processing power, and better resolution. It will be priced the same, and there will be one last thing. Other than those basic considerations, all bets are off. For the iphone lovers, the iPhone 5 will have the same processor as the new iPad, so this gives a good look at it.

While I agree they quite possibly do this at some stage in a product's development, it is a bit late in the day to say that is precisely why they would leak information now ahead of a possible launch in three or four weeks time.

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanx for warning/advice. I promise that I will avoid posting any further info/rumors on this forum & I totally agree with your arguments.

edit: Can anyone explain what exacly IGZO display means? (I just found this - 330 dpi / without IPS or a dual-bar backlight)

Sharp IGZO display possible for iPad 3, says analyst

Sharp's high-resolution IGZO display technology may not be out of the running for the iPad 3, according an analyst at DisplaySearch.
Though there have been rumors claiming that Sharp's IGZO (indium gallium zinc oxide) technology did not make the cut for the iPad 3, Charles Annis, a Kyoto, Japan-based analyst at DisplaySearch, thinks Sharp still has a good shot at the iPad 3.
The iPad 3 is expected to sport a 9.7-inch 2048x1536 resolution LCD, a much higher resolution than the iPad 2's 1024-by-768 panel.
Annis spoke with CNET on Monday.

Question: So, what is the status for the iPad 3 and Sharp's IGZO display technology?
Annis: Sharp is already mass producing them [IGZO displays], there's no question about that. But you never know what Apple is going to do. And, for that matter, there's no reason LGD [LG Display] would be accepted either. Only Apple knows.
There's not a single commercial IGZO FPD [flat-panel display] available right now. And if Apple does start accepting them for the iPad 3 and starts selling then in April, that would be a world's first and we do think that's likely to happen. Our thinking [for the release date of the iPad 3] is probably around April.

What is the advantage of IGZO over more conventional technologies?
Annis: The main advantage over the conventional amorphous silicon is that IGZO has higher electron mobility which means basically more current passes through the thin-film transistor than the conventional type. That allows you to make smaller TFTs (thin-film transistors), which allows more light to come through the back of the display.
So, you either get higher brightness or you can reduce the number of LEDs at the backlight, which reduces the cost. Or you can reduce the number of optical films at the backlight, which reduces the cost. Or you can increase the lifetime of the battery. So, those are all important things for these new super-high-resolution mobile displays.
Sharp is leading but if you go to an FPD trade show you can see multiple IGZO panels from Samsung or LGD too.

Would Sharp's IGZO display be used exclusively? How would that work because Apple is also working with Korean display manufacturers?
Annis: That's a very good question and one we have been debating internally. There are examples of this historically--where Apple used different panel technologies on a single product and they didn't tell anybody. They could use a couple of different approaches.
One is that they could use IGZO-based panels only for a certain region. And the Korean amorphous silicon-based panels are sold in other regions.
I think more likely is that they would balance the specifications. Maybe, for example, the Sharp panels have higher transmittance so you can lower the backlight costs. So, they could use a different backlight that costs less than the ones being used in the models based on the Korean amorphous silicon panels. And you end up with an iPad that looks the same and has the same specs but the inside would be different. So, maybe the Sharp panel may cost more but the total package is cheaper because of the cheaper backlight. Something like that is more likely.
But it's kind of a mystery--Apple having multiple technologies for a single product.

And what are the similarities?
Annis: Actually, in a lot of other respects, the amorphous silicon panels from Korea and the IGZO panels from Sharp are pretty similar. They both use IPS [in-plane switching]...they have kind of the same liquid crystal technologies. So, they're both going to have a really wide viewing angle and good color off-axis.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Milanno

Milanno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanx a lot for this. Besides informations about IGZO technology, one statement caught my attention

There are examples of this historically--where Apple used different panel technologies on a single product and they didn't tell anybody.

I must say WOW. I believed that Apple have very strict quality check, that every iPad must be 100% from the same exact parts.
I assume for US are reserved best parts, for the rest of the world they assembly cheaper parts.

Seems that Apple is not exception. Long time ago I was reading one car blog where author mentioned that premium car manufacturers
assembly different parts for different countries in their cars.
(for example in poor countries they send cars with installed some parts that are from slightly lower quality material, decreased durability etc.).

Last edited:

tazz3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
i think we will see the announcement sometime in march. cant waite to get the ipad 3

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanx a lot for this. Besides informations about IGZO technology, one statement caught my attention

I must say WOW. I believed that Apple have very strict quality check, that every iPad must be 100% from the same exact parts.
I assume for US are reserved best parts, for the rest of the world they assembly cheaper parts.

Seems that Apple is not exception. Long time ago I was reading one car blog where author mentioned that premium car manufacturers
(for example in poor countries they send cars with installed some parts that are from slightly lower quality material, decreased durability etc.).

I am a little uptight about this IGZO display, I would have any day preferred the current display on the iPad2 the IPS LED Back-lighting Display in the iPad-3 with a Higher Resolution more PPI with Dual LED Backlighting. IGZO may not be that impressive and that would spoil the game for me as far as I am concerned. Hope it is not IGZO !

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score

While Apple may have some components with equal, but from a different vendor, I doubt you will ever find them using lesser components. Most of the substitutions would have been when a supplier could not meet the demands. Particularly with items like automobiles and industrial equipment, you might find unique demands from a few nations. I remember Israel confiscating iPads coming into the country when they were first introduced, due to wifi conflicts.

Most reactions

Latest posts