What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reasons why people hate the ipad...debunked

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not being a fanboy of any platform, as I see it, the OP had valid points. If Apple implement the likes of a USB connection to transfer/handle files they loose control over what can and can't be done. As for iTunes, anyone who enjoys using that piece of software should be, in my opinion categorised Masochistic.

I've seen a lot of responses to questions on these forums on people asking how can I transfer this or that file, with answers like "Simple, use this app or that app" or use "DropBox" to transfer your files. Trying to find an app to do this or that is half the problem. How many people have apps on their device they don't use because they bought it believing it would do this or that only to find it didn't? Why should Apple implement a simple file transfer system when an app will generate income from a developer.

Using any app will never be as simple as drag and drop from a USB pen drive to your iPad no matter what app you use or how you describe doing it. As for using cloud services, great idea until the Internet connection you're using goes down for 24 hours as mine just did last night.

Again with Flash, it's simple... Steve Jobs, for whatever reason, doesn't want it on his machines. People on these forums making excuses, or trying to rationalise it doesn't change that fact or make it go away. Flash is still used on a lot of sites and Internet browsing on the iPad is limited for that reason, if/until HTML5 is used on the majority of sites that limitation will remain an issue.

I'm not trying to be negative, I enjoy using my iPad, and accept it limitations, I wouldn't have bought it otherwise. I just feel it's being hamstrung in certain areas unnecessarily because of it's locked down OS. With the number of people on these forums extolling the virtues of jail breaking their iPads and iPhones, doesn't it make that obvious, to a greater or lesser extant?

iRager

iPF Novice
Reaction score
@Gazzaho

Well said buddy, let's hope apple starts listening to it's customers

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Gazzaho

Well said buddy, let's hope apple starts listening to it's customers
But that's my whole point... sort of

Does the iPad have shortcomings? Of course it does!

You can complain all you want (up to a point!) about Apple's "failures" with the iPad, but venting on a private forum is just that... venting.

Want changes? Tell Apple!

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Again with Flash, it's simple... Steve Jobs, for whatever reason, doesn't want it on his machines.

This may be interesting ~

Thoughts on Flash

on these forums making excuses, or trying to rationalise it doesn't change that fact or make it go away.

I don't think people here make excuses with re to flash. I think the majority knew or know that Apple products don't use flash. IMO.;)

Flash is still used on a lot of sites and Internet browsing on the iPad is limited for that reason

Can't bother too many, I'm thinkin ~ how many are sold?

iRager

iPF Novice
Reaction score
1991-C4 said:
Want changes? Tell Apple!

This is interesting lol as I remember when I was lining up for the iPhone 4 outside bondi apple store (Australia) I spoke to a guy that worked for apple in the us and raised the issue of flash and when this will be available on iOS devices. He basically told me that no iOS device will support flash in the near future. So there we have it.

What he also told me was the iPad 2 is in the works lol I think that must have spilled out...

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With due respect I don't think either of those two things were unknown by the wider apple user base. ;). I'd bet money that in January/February 2012, there will be a new iPad3. Notwithstanding the outbreak of World War 3.. And even then I think Apple would be irritated to change their release schedule ;)

iRager

iPF Novice
Reaction score
lol I know I'm just stating my story, either way if people aren't happy with the way these devices are standard then jailbreak is a way to customize your device as you like.

Flash works on my iPhone 4 with no problems :)

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison

I don't believe any of the statements I made were incorrect. My referral to excuses and rationalisation were to the comments on the implementation of HTML5 and "Flash being dead" at the start of this thread. Perhaps excuse wasn't the word to use, perhaps I should have said untrue in reference to the Flash being dead comment. You can surf using Safari for most of the time without the need for Flash but on more than a few occasions I've had to fire up my laptop in order to access some form of Flash content that wasn't accessible on Safari. Until the day I no longer have to do this, then Internet browsing on the iPad is, again, to a greater or lesser extent limited, is it not? I myself am neither for or against Flash i just want to surf with the least interruption, as I believe most people do.

As I stated I'm not ranting or raving, I accept the iPad for what it is... Good and bad, but I can't help the feeling that some people here get way too protective when Apple is mentioned in less than a good light, even if the negative comments are constructive. At the moment the iPad is the best at what it does, and until something better comes along then I'll stick with it, bad points and all.

These are my views, they are not meant as an attack on Apple or any individuals posting on these forums, the thing is that the iPad and all the other forms of tech available today make these type of discussions possible, and for that alone Apple and all other manufacturers should be commended, wouldn't you agree?

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison

I don't believe any of the statements I made were incorrect. My referral to excuses and rationalisation were to the comments on the implementation of HTML5 and "Flash being dead" at the start of this thread. Perhaps excuse wasn't the word to use, perhaps I should have said untrue in reference to the Flash being dead comment. You can surf using Safari for most of the time without the need for Flash but on more than a few occasions I've had to fire up my laptop in order to access some form of Flash content that wasn't accessible on Safari. Until the day I no longer have to do this, then Internet browsing on the iPad is, again, to a greater or lesser extent limited, is it not? I myself am neither for or against Flash i just want to surf with the least interruption, as I believe most people do.

As I stated I'm not ranting or raving, I accept the iPad for what it is... Good and bad, but I can't help the feeling that some people here get way too protective when Apple is mentioned in less than a good light, even if the negative comments are constructive. At the moment the iPad is the best at what it does, and until something better comes along then I'll stick with it, bad points and all.

These are my views, they are not meant as an attack on Apple or any individuals posting on these forums, the thing is that the iPad and all the other forms of tech available today make these type of discussions possible, and for that alone Apple and all other manufacturers should be commended, wouldn't you agree?

Okay then ~ never said they were incorrect. I get that they are your opinion. As were mine.

Both ~ I believe were discussed in the appropriate fashion. I never thought you were attacking Apple, either.

It's all good!:):)

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the iPad was perfect, how would it ever be upgraded? I go back to the days when the 68020 chip ran Apple's computers. If they had forums back then, the gripes would be rampant. All data was loaded from 3.5" floppies, but how people griped that there was no support for the obsolete 5.25" floppies. And SCSI was akin to witchcraft. A device daisy chain had to be just right, or it would not work. And sometimes you could have identical setups, and one would work, and one would not.

The industry is in a constant state of flux, with Apple assuming the general leadership in using new technologies. Most times, it comes to be that they pick right, but not always. Before, the industry dealt with the problems of Flash because they had no choice. Just like when Apple made the bold move to drop serial/parallel ports and go with the unknown USB model, they have made the move to drop Flash on mobile devices. They look forward, and Flash is not a part of it. And just like with serial ports, and all the other technologies that Apple has dropped, the manufacturers know that the new technology that Apple is supporting, is a strong bet.

None of the other computer manufacturers can really do what Apple can. If MS builds support for a device into an OS, they then have to hope that the computer manufacturers will be willing to change their tried and true formats. Usually they are not willing to be gamblers. Already we are seeing more and more sites that are now HTML5 users. In fact, it is about equal in the number of sites that do not support Flash or do not support Android friendly devices. They only difference is that eventually Android will support the other formats. Apple will never support Flash.

It is a good thing to discuss the pros and cons of the iPad, but the only purpose in slamming it, is to denigrate those who spent their money for one. Often a case of sour Apple's, so to speak.

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I hate iTunes. Why can't ipad be a standalone product independent of iTunes?

You can’t access file system! Each app has its own device space where it keeps its documents. If you have a text file, say “Blog Text” and you use it inside two different word processing apps (say App-A and App-B), each will have its own copy of “Blog Text”. If you remove an app, it will remove all documents created by this particular app. What the heck? Of course you can use Dropbox but that's a 3rd party app which require internet connection to work!

People say Apple products are intuitive to use, but I find it almost counter intuitive (ipad is my first Apple product).

Lack of USB/memory stick is an issue. With memory cards, you can expand your storage without limit. But all ipads are monolithic with 16/32/64 GB of memory available. Of course you can access files thru internet, but what if you don't have internet??

Blackhart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Love it hate it
buy it don't buy it
chevy or ford
I'm just glad it's here

normanj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
People say Apple products are intuitive to use, but I find it almost counter intuitive (ipad is my first Apple product).

Lack of USB/memory stick is an issue. With memory cards, you can expand your storage without limit. But all ipads are monolithic with 16/32/64 GB of memory available. Of course you can access files thru internet, but what if you don't have internet??

I agree!

I think the iPad is a wonderful device, but t is not perfect, and does have some annoying features.

I also agree with you that it is not intuitive, at least not at first. There's a bit of a learning curve involved.

Still, I am very much sold on the conveinence and multi-functionality of the iPad. I hope that many of these annoying quirks are done away with in subsequent versions.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can’t access file system! Each app has its own device space where it keeps its documents. If you have a text file, say “Blog Text†and you use it inside two different word processing apps (say App-A and App-B), each will have its own copy of “Blog Textâ€. If you remove an app, it will remove all documents created by this particular app. What the heck? Of course you can use Dropbox but that's a 3rd party app which require internet connection to work!

This is one of the things that I think Android does VERY well. You can place files ANYWHERE on your SD card and the OS will automatically scan for and find and make available the file to the proper apps. So you could hide mp3's all over the place if you wanted, and the OS will make them available to any music player as if they were all neatly within a single folder. If you download a new mp3 on the go, the media scanner kicks in and updates that there is a new mp3 that all apps can see. Same thing with videos. On the iPad if you download a video on the go say through a browser, there is zero chance of it showing up in the stock video player. Android however will scan the SD card, find the new video and make it available to all apps that play video.

This all comes back to iTunes sadly. I don't think Apple wants the iPad to be an independent device that can seamlessly integrate newly added media on the go. They want you tied to iTunes so that there is more of an incentive to use iTunes for all of your media.

Most reactions

Latest posts