What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pros and cons of the ipad mini

rhardin

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a iPad mini for my 10 years birthday. What are the pros and cons of the mini.... We have many apple products like a iPod 1, 3, 4 and a iPad 4 so she knows how to use them.

wildmangk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pros is that its the perfect size and ease of use. Cons Id say are that its no retina display but I dont think your 10 year old is going to care about that. Id say do it. My kids love their tablets as they can use it for school work and for gaming.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good size for books, videos and web surfing. Light weight, easily fits into a large pocket. I have both and I feel the iPad mini is much more portable.

Callihan_44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the 4 and the mini, I prefer the mini. To me 8" screen is a good size for a tablet, I think kids would prefer the mini due to size and weight

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the mini and the 3nd gen iPad with the retina display. Frankly, I see no cons to the mini except that some digital magazines are a bit harder to read on the mini. But it is my go-to iPad. In my recent travels by car, I keep the mini in the cabin with me while the 9.7 inch version is in the trunk. I'm a full grown man with strong arms and hands and I still prefer the mini. When the retina version comes out, as long as apple doesn't treat it as a second tier device (meaning weaker internals, ect), I will upgrade to the new mini and leave the 9.7-inch version behind.

Reaction score
The mini is the perfect size for me and I like it much more than my wife's iPad 3. The only "con" for me so far is that my mini doesn't stream video as well as the 3. I subscribe to several international news services and TV stations, and the video stream is constantly buffering and stopping. The 3 does fine on the same apps and network. I'm trying to resolve this issue now with Apple support. BTW the lack of a retina display is a non-issue for me.

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Pros is battery life. Cons is you have to accept the reality that a better ipad mini maybe released in less than 6 months.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Pros is battery life. Cons is you have to accept the reality that a better ipad mini maybe released in less than 6 months.

Good point. I wonder if WWDC, in three days, will see the announcement of the next iPad mini.

OP
rhardin

rhardin

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks everyone getting the mini tomorrow!

stil29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the mini and the 3nd gen iPad with the retina display. Frankly, I see no cons to the mini except that some digital magazines are a bit harder to read on the mini. But it is my go-to iPad. In my recent travels by car, I keep the mini in the cabin with me while the 9.7 inch version is in the trunk. I'm a full grown man with strong arms and hands and I still prefer the mini. When the retina version comes out, as long as apple doesn't treat it as a second tier device (meaning weaker internals, ect), I will upgrade to the new mini and leave the 9.7-inch version behind.

Thinking of that myself

OP
rhardin

rhardin

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Love the mini, it's a amazing little thing. So impressed with all it does.... Almost wanna get one for myself now and give my iPad to hubby lol.

pommie82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go too the apple store try one out and then make your decision
Everyone has different views about different things
I really like the mini personally and i prefer it over the 9'7 inch for everything except watching video the 9'7 inch is perfect for viewing things on i think personally

Brontesmith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
for me pros is everything the device contains and cons nothing as what the efficiency in form of the performance I'm getting out of it is more than enough

amywine999

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am considering to my one for myself. I am trying to save money with my part-time job.

learniiburn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love my mini. Bought one on a whim at the airport from a best buy vending machine and haven't been able to put it down since purchase. I don't mind the non-retina display at all, it's super light, great battery, and easy to use. No matter how cool the big iPad gets, it's just way to big for me.

Mini is totally worth it. I swear its lighter than my iPhone 5.

Most reactions