What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 4 or iPad mini ?

nicolabc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I'm siding more with the iPad 4, but I'm not yet totally sure. I'm only concerned about the iPad 4's weight and size. Other than that I prefer everything about it over the mini. I currently have an iPod Touch 4th gen, and to me the iPad mini is exactly that but slightly bigger. It doesn't have retina and speed like the 4, which annoy me the most. I think the cons outweigh the pros of the mini, but I'd like others' opinion especially if you have both.
Honestly, if the "iPad mini 2" was scheduled to come out BEFORE summer with retina and improved specs, i'd probably lean towards that, but I'm getting my device especially to have something else to do this summer :p
Sucks that they didn't release the new stuff in march/april as rumored :(

tazz3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
the ipad 4 is cuting tech. the ipad mini is just an ipad 2 in a smaller case .
but i did play with a mini its nice... but if you want cutting edge get the ipad4 or waite for the ipad 5

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have an iPad3 and my wife has a Mini. She bought it over a 4 precisely for its size and weight: it's easily swallowed by her purse. I couldn't deal with the microscopic type size, but her eyes are better than mine. FWIW, it's plenty fast enough for email and surfing, and the display is quite crisp. You'll have to try both in the store, using apps you'll be getting, and make your own decision.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

D

dvdcatalyst

Hi Nicola,

Welcome to the forums.

I currently have an iPod Touch 4th gen, and to me the iPad mini is exactly that but slightly bigger.

is precisely what people said when the iPad 1 first came out, but it has grown into something quite a bit bigger.

Anyway, the speed difference between the iPad Mini and the iPad 4 isn't as big as you think. The lack of retina on the mini also means a lot less pixels to update with games and such, so it evens things out a bit.

The big difference is size though. The iPad Mini is quite popular because it is actually pocketable. This size is also the reason why the Nexus 7 and the Kindle Fire HD are more popular than their larger siblings. A larger tablet is nice for at home, but if you use it on the go, size does matter.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Let me add that I find it simply amazing that the Mini weighs so little, yet still sports a 10-hour battery life. Again, the lack of a Retina display is the explanation, with only 1/4 the pixels to drive.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

omercirak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
this situation changes to all conditions. 1)your hands 2)your purpose3)your money :) a.g
if you ask me , i do say the ipad 4 .really it like came space.
please share your OWN experience if you buy to which

Last edited:

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I say go to your nearest Apple store and test drive both and see which one you like the best© Copyright 2013. All rights reserved. Any reproduction or other use of this post without the express written consent iJamesH is prohibited.

omercirak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I say go to your nearest Apple store and test drive both and see which one you like the best© Copyright 2013. All rights reserved. Any reproduction or other use of this post without the express written consent iJamesH is prohibited.
+++1

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I had to choose between the iPad 4 and the mini, and assuming I had not other tablets, I'd get the 4....and I would not even think about it. And I love my mini....but if it were to be my only tablet, I'd go for the power and the screen. Easy question.

Now, when the next version of the mini comes out, if Apple is smart (which is something to be concerned about), then one should have a reasonable choice to make between the full-sized and mini versions of the iPads. I hope they make it hard to decide. If not, it means the mini will be reguarded as a "lessor" device by Apple (and everyone else, too)...rather than a true option....and then I will probably not get one.

Most reactions