What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few question to iPad Mini users.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is it easier for you to type in an iPad Mini rather than your iPad 4?

It seems to be, yes. I think it has to do with the fact that the keys on the mini are a little larger (merged kb) than those of the iPad 4 with the split keyboard. It just feels more comfortable typing on the mini. The spell correction feature in iOS helps a great deal, though. I feel it necessary to state that I have small hands, someone with larger hands may feel right at home on the iPad 4.

Here's how I use my devices:
iPhones - texting, email, chat
iPad 4 - web surfing, videos
iPad mini - ebooks, news

It may help you to think about the type of media/data you will use the decide for most before your purchase.

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It seems to be, yes. I think it has to do with the fact that the keys on the mini are a little larger (merged kb) than those of the iPad 4 with the split keyboard. It just feels more comfortable typing on the mini. The spell correction feature in iOS helps a great deal, though. I feel it necessary to state that I have small hands, someone with larger hands may feel right at home on the iPad 4.

Here's how I use my devices:
iPhones - texting, email, chat
iPad 4 - web surfing, videos
iPad mini - ebooks, news

It may help you to think about the type of media/data you will use the decide for most before your purchase.

Looks like I may get the iPad Mini. I am concerned about the color gamut though, I am not sure which has the worse, the 1st or 2nd. Anyone can say which has the worse?

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Looks like I may get the iPad Mini. I am concerned about the color gamut though, I am not sure which has the worse, the 1st or 2nd. Anyone can say which has the worse?

One thing I would suggest, if you're able, is to go into a store and play with the device a bit before you buy it. This will help you in your purchase decision and may also help you with the color gamut issue (sorry I couldn't be more help there).

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why are you worried about the color gamut? You won't even notice there is an issue unless you put it next to an air or 4th or 3th iPad. In use, it makes little impact, and looks good. Also, for me, typing on the mini with the split keyboard is way better than on any other iPad. Also, the text is even better than on any other iPad. I don't worry about battery life but the mini will probably get an hour less battery than the air. The larger case but the same internals means bigger battery in the air and hence longer battery.

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why are you worried about the color gamut? You won't even notice there is an issue unless you put it next to an air or 4th or 3th iPad. In use, it makes little impact, and looks good. Also, for me, typing on the mini with the split keyboard is way better than on any other iPad. Also, the text is even better than on any other iPad. I don't worry about battery life but the mini will probably get an hour less battery than the air. The larger case but the same internals means bigger battery in the air and hence longer battery.

I am worried because I can ACTUALLY notice the color gamut between the iPad Air and the retina display. I havn't managed to see by see by my own the difference between the first and second.

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One thing I would suggest, if you're able, is to go into a store and play with the device a bit before you buy it. This will help you in your purchase decision and may also help you with the color gamut issue (sorry I couldn't be more help there).

That is 10 hours drive from my place.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That is 10 hours drive from my place.

Ouch! Well, I will say that the two times I saw an iPad mini with retina display it really made my original mini screen look bad.. The retina display is quite nice. I wonder if this color gamut issue has been uploaded to youtube.

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hmm. So I made my decision. I will get the iPad Mini.

The problems that I have encountered in my iPad 2 is its camera, and weight. And I don't like its shard edges too. But I just found out that the iPad Mini Retina is heavier than the first one. When it comes to tablets, I always pick the lightest.

Since there are no options for me to view the color gamut of both iPads, I just thought maybe the iPad Mini would have better color gamut than the latest. If someone had a problem with it, why has no one talked about it? The A5 and 500 MB RAM is fine for me, I don't multitask a lot. And its a good thing the iPad Mini's are still available for my country.

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ouch! Well, I will say that the two times I saw an iPad mini with retina display it really made my original mini screen look bad.. The retina display is quite nice. I wonder if this color gamut issue has been uploaded to youtube.

Seen pictures of it. I don't like its color gamut issue. Its terrible.

Also I find the 1st iPad Mini cheaper.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The mini 2 is only a tiny bit heavier (doubt you can tell the difference) and the color gamuts are exactly the same. I would have got the new one.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Seen pictures of it. I don't like its color gamut issue. Its terrible. Also I find the 1st iPad Mini cheaper.

It's not terrible at all. And if it is, then the 1st gen mini is no solution.

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The mini 2 is only a tiny bit heavier (doubt you can tell the difference) and the color gamuts are exactly the same. I would have got the new one.

Exactly the same? Didn't realize that. Oh well iPad Mini retina it is.

Most reactions

Latest posts