What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Probs with new (BT) hub.

Reaction score
Hi chaps, another connundrum I'm afraid! Maybe better for UK users.

Simply this: Got a new hub, because existing one seems to conk out/ tends to grind to a halt.

So I squeezed a new hub from bt. Identical hub 6. So I know the procedure in settings to get ipad connected.

But it doesn't recognise the new hub. I cant put the password key in, after typing the new hub type in.

Thankfully.. I plugged old hub back in, it recognised it, put in this one's password key & Im back connected to this hub.

Any ideas? Thanks, SDD

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi chaps, another connundrum I'm afraid! Maybe better for UK users.

Simply this: Got a new hub, because existing one seems to conk out/ tends to grind to a halt.

So I squeezed a new hub from bt. Identical hub 6. So I know the procedure in settings to get ipad connected.

But it doesn't recognise the new hub. I cant put the password key in, after typing the new hub type in.

Thankfully.. I plugged old hub back in, it recognised it, put in this one's password key & Im back connected to this hub.

Any ideas? Thanks, SDD
Have you received confirmation of the activation date of your new hub from BT?

OP
S
Reaction score
Have you received confirmation of the activation date of your new hub from BT?
Hi jupiter,

no idea tbh. Ive never heard of such a thing. I got this about 4 months ago, in case my current one went really bad. I just thought I'd try it.

Ive never known of activation dates before. Ive had a few upgraded hubs over the years, as we all tend to have, but never heard of this.

Thanks SDD

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Can you get into the hub settings (using the net address on the included label, probably 192.168.1.254). If you can then select ‘Advanced settings’, you’ll need the admin password which should also be on the label.

That should allow you to view the wireless password key just in case someone’s changed it from the factory set one on the included label.

OP
S
Reaction score
BT will have probably emailed you an Activation Date. I think You would need to phone BT in case there was a time limit for you to actually connect the new hub.
Hi Jupiter, will do but definitely didn't get such a thing emailed with this hub or any prior ones, 3,4,5 was it.

Thanks, SDD

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One thought: Backup of settings for the old BT hub and then restore into the new one. (I assume that you can address the new Hub settings via another means, PC, Mac, etc.)

OP
S
Reaction score
One thought: Backup of settings for the old BT hub and then restore into the new one. (I assume that you can address the new Hub settings via another means, PC, Mac, etc.)

Hi Squirrel, backing up.. far beyond my capabilitie/ have no idea what it means or entail. I only have the iPad now too.

Thanks, SDD

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just give BT a ring, I'm sure they will sort out any problems.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Start with the old Homehub.
Try typing in 192.168.1.254 into your browser (Safari). That should bring up the BT homehub (router) home page.
You will need the Homehub Admin password, which as was said above, is on a sliding panel on the rear of the Homehub, assuming not changed from the default.
Go to the Advance Settings soft button and then the System soft button. Enter your Admin password. Look for the Backup/Restore tab and make a backup of the system settings, which you are going to have to save somewhere. FileBrowser, on the iPad, may be able to save it to your iPad.
Then repeat the above, remember a different Admin Password will apply for the new Homehub. This time, restore from Backup.

If you cannot do the backup above, it maybe that simply by noting all settings on the old Homehub, you can put them into the new one.
I hope that this helps you.

(Hopefully) screenshots below of the various screens I have mentioned above.

Attachments

• 2022-06-10_202806.jpg
    2022-06-10_202806.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 2022-06-10_202822.jpg
    2022-06-10_202822.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 2022-06-10_203026.jpg
    2022-06-10_203026.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 2022-06-10_203042.jpg
    2022-06-10_203042.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 71
OP
S
Reaction score
Hi chaps, very grateful for the help. I did ring BT, who detected a fault ( urgh.. ) & a chap came today. No flaming idea what fault he was on about. But he said he fixed it. Ive had many such visits before, which work for a day, then back to square 1. All say different techy stuff noone can understand.

Many thanks to squirrel for the reply above; I think a little beyond me tbh, thankfully I don think I need to go down this rabbit hole.. or squirrel hole.

Anyway asked BT engineer guy to try connecting new hub. He did so (the pull out info plastic section.. had the incorrect numbers on/ didn't correspond with hub!) so that is now connected. I'll only be able to tell if better in 3 weeks.

Whilst I'm here. Can I ask you guys. Can I use 2 hubs in the same house? One ipad only, but my bedroom struggles with "reaching" to the hub for signal.. & as booster plug things are 1) pricey, & 2) not have great reviews re. Performanc... I was thinking this way, just have one other hub upstairs too, might be a "free" way to get good signal chutzpa in my bedroom. Even if its the old hub, I can scrape by with it resetting it every week or so.

Thanks, SDD

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SSD >> Can I use 2 hubs in the same house?
Not unless you have two phone lines.

There is a solution: using BT Whole Home Wifi discs. I use white ones I bought from Currys a few years back. I think you will need two. One connects directly to your Home Hub, it needs an ethernet cable to connect to the hub, which may come with the disc, I forget. The other goes upstairs or elsewhere. There are white and black discs: I bought the white, and it was simple to set up. I gather that you cannot mix the white and black discs and I think the black ones work with newer hubs, whereas the white ones work with any hubs.

One thing you will need to bear in mind is that it is best to turn off the home hub wifi, although not essential, and simply run on the discs wifi. That is very simple to do, but you will need to turn it off effectively following the info I posted above. I will leave the steps you need to follow until needed.

Do ask if you need more help.

OP
S
Reaction score
Or PM me if that helps

Hi squirrel.. much appreciate the reply before/ discs etc. Crumbs I've not heard of discs with www & hubs, Ive only bought a cp player about 15 years ago! The only discs I know.

I think this idea is really negated once you said ' only if you've two phone lines', as buying more equipment wasn't the idea ( or I'd go down the booster plug avenue.. which might seem best perhaps).

I think I'll pass on the idea tbh. This hub -seems- to be working better, but Im not holding hope it'll stay like it.

Good for now though. I think I'll stick where I am, & not tempt fate further!

Very grateful chaps again, for reading my drivel, SDD

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No problem (and no drivel noticed), especially as I have a similar router etc.

I would suggest that it is worth having a look at the Whole Home Discs on the BT website, or similar, if only simply to know that they exist and what they do.

Most reactions