What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CloudFTP

Mini_mi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, when using the CloudFTP device you are on a network created by the device.

lionking15

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for reply :) Wish they could get that right, like the Seagate go flex satellite has done.

urbane fox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have to contradict the last response. The cloudFTP operates in 2 modes. The ad hoc mode is independent of any other networks - ie it creates its own wifi network to transmit data to and from your device. It can also join a known wifi network and transmit data through that network. This means you stay connected to (for example) your home network for web browsing but can also download stuff from the cloudFTP onto your device without having to change wifi networks on your device. This feature can be enabled in the settings menu in the web browser interface. It's very easy to bypass this mode on startup if you just want ad hoc network by pressing the power button when "scanning" appears in the LCD display which forces ad hoc mode

lionking15

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you.....that's good news......does it let you browse on your 3G sim card as well as let u download from cloudftp, or only wifi?

Fintan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Super thread. This has helped me hugely when setting up my new cloud FTP with ipad mini. Thanks Archangel.

I'm going travelling next week, so I'm hoping this will allow me to travel without a laptop but bring all my movies, music etc as I go.

I've been using the cloud ftp for a few days, and find it brilliant. Oplayer is a super app, and does everything I want for watching any movies I have on external harddrive.

I do however have a few questions / issues I've come up against that I'm hoping someone can help me out with please....

1. I can get movie files from my camera to goodreader. But I then want to save and edit the file in iMovie. I've tried the "open with" feature, and although I can open doesn't let me edit and save. Does anyone know how I can get movie files from camera to iMovies through cloud FTP?

2. As I mentioned, oplayer is super for watching and saving movies. Viewing and editing images is also straight forward, but does anyone know a good app to manage, save and play music from harddrive? Guessing there is no way of adding music files to iTunes via cloud FTP?!

3. Maybe a stupid question, but can you use cloud ftp inflight?! Guessing with wifi, no?!

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks, fintan

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've just been thinking about this device Gab and looked on the website and seen this

http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-iPad-Hard-Drive-s/183.htm

Expensive but definitely interesting?

Sent from my new iPad using iPF

I did look at this a long time ago, it seemed somewhat limited however that may have changed over time, I prefer the CloudFTP (iUSBport......I think?) as I have control over the capacity and function unless the function element of the Hyperdrive has improved (I'll have to do some more reading?).

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts