What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

prevent update to 5.1

dpcardoza

iPF Noob
Reaction score
just jailbroke my new to me iPad 2. Have a couple of questions. Is there a way to set up an password protected update for 5.1. I'm afraid one of my kids might do something accidentally and there is not going back. It has a little red one on the settings icon letting me know there is an update available. Might be to tempting for a 8 year old with ADHD. And an adult for that matter. :eek:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Go to Cydia and download the free tweak "No Update." It blocks the iPad from looking for and then downloading the over-the-air update.

Now, I have to tell you that I don't know know how well it works on an iPad that already has the download done (which is what I assume you have, given that you have the red badge). But, it might stop the update from running should that line be pressed. Heck, it might remove the update (but that's just me wishing it will for you ... I do not know).

Regardless, that is the only tweak I know of to block the OTA. It's running great on my iPhone and iPad.

Good luck.

Marilyn

Redneck_Randy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Marilyn,

No Update works very well. I have it on my ipad to block the 5.1 update :)

How it works is that it block the update page in Settings on the ipad.

OP
dpcardoza

dpcardoza

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks. worked like a charm. Won't get rid of the indicator saying I have a download available but won't let me update it either. Guess the little red 1 on the settings icon is there to stay but it did what I needed it to do. Thanks.
Darren

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
thanks. worked like a charm. Won't get rid of the indicator saying I have a download available but won't let me update it either. Guess the little red 1 on the settings icon is there to stay but it did what I needed it to do. Thanks.
Darren

Yay! Glad it'll stop the update from happening ... which is what you wanted.

Oh, and just do what I did when I had that little red badge while waiting for the jail break on the iPhone 4S: I adopted it and called it "Bob.". He was my constant companion for a few months... :D

Marilyn

Redneck_Randy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Won't get rid of the indicator saying I have a download available but won't let me update it either. Guess the little red 1 on the settings icon is there to stay but it did what I needed it to do. Thanks.
Darren

Go to Cydia and search for Badge Remover. It remove the round red badge showing updates for both Cydia and App Store but will still show you if you have any updates when you either open Cydia or the App Store apps.

OP
dpcardoza

dpcardoza

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried downloading it but didn't want to install on my ipad so I'll just live with it. His name will be Carl.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bummer that tweak didn't work for you. Here's hoping the jail break community lets you "kill off" Carl soon.... :)

Marilyn

ztorque

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go to Cydia and search for Badge Remover. It remove the round red badge showing updates for both Cydia and App Store but will still show you if you have any updates when you either open Cydia or the App Store apps.

so this Badge Remover will work on ipad i also have the red badge on my setting update.and i want to removed it.also if you install no update from cydia will this tweak wont let any updates from happening even for regular apps or just firmware update.
thanks

barefootpilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so this Badge Remover will work on ipad i also have the red badge on my setting update.and i want to removed it.also if you install no update from cydia will this tweak wont let any updates from happening even for regular apps or just firmware update.
thanks

App updates continue as normal, it just stops the 'over the air' update for the firmware. Be careful connecting the iPad to iTunes too, as this will still prompt for download/install of new firmware version.

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad2 WiFi

I have just downloaded/installed "No Update" and "Badge Remover." I STILL HAVE badges. I have resprung and rebooted. It says this is a "Theme" and I'm wondering if there is a toggle for it or other control to activate it. I have SBSettings, but can't find anything there with that name. (There IS something else I'm going to ask about in a minute.)

Anyway, my "settings" icon showed the update badge for the first time this morning. Does this mean that the update has already been fetched to the iPad - and is waiting for me to give it the go-ahead? I'm not worried about it, because I'm very vigilant is these matters... and I have the "no update" installed, but was just wondering how this works. My iPhone does not have the update badge yet.

Also, in SBSettings control panel, under "More" is a section called "iOS 5+ Notification" under that headding are the selections, "Disable Toggles" - "Separate List" - "Using Window Toggles" - "Notification Theme" - "Notification Options" Can someone please explain what this is all about. I don't want to mess with it until I know what it does.

Thanks.

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fooey... I don't think I have that installed, or want to. But to be fair, is it a safe app for installation now? I did put it on the iPhone in the beginning, but haven't given it much thought of fiddling since.

Thanks for the update.

[[ EDIT ]] I also installed "No Update" on the iPhone. Then I went to settings <> Firmware Update section on both pad and phone and saw that it was working fine. I'll look at the link though - and also thanks for that.

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts