What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power adapter

buckoo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just bought a new iPad 3 (Love IT!) and I have been using an HP TouchPad. I was wondering if I can use the TouchPad's usb power adapter (output 5.3 V - 2.0 A) to charge my iPad. I know the iPad's power adapter is 5.1/2.1. Hate to have to spend more money for an Apple adapter if the HP will work...

Thanks for any replies!

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Short answer - no, if you refer to not charging through the proprietary 30 pin cable. If you are referring to plugging the iPad adapter cord into a USB outlet for another device, then yes, it can be done. Any standard USB charging port can be used to charge the iPad. Due to the large battery, 5w chargers will take forever to charge. A minimum of 10 watts or 2.0 Amps should be the minimum. You get a very good charging device with your iPad. The only thing most people need is to get one for car charging, and they are available at any store that carries electronics.

OP
B

buckoo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Seadog. Really appreciate your quick response. Not using the usb "cable", just the Power adapter that came with the TP. Bought an extra Griffin 10' cable and wanted to use the plug in wall adapter as the power source when traveling. Will keep my eyes open for a Apple car charger. Thanks again.

Most reactions

Latest posts