What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 USB cable and power adapter

innkuang

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me if there's a difference in terms of charging speed of the iPhone USB cable and that of the iPad 2 USB cable?

I notice that when I charge my Ipad 2 using the original USB cable and power adapter that came with my iPhone 3GS, it charges at a much slower rate compared to when I charge it with the USB cable and power adapter that came with the IPad itself. Is there any difference in the charging capability of the USB cables and power adapters that come with the iPad 2 and Iphone 3GS respectively?

helix2000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That seems to be the case with anything being charged via USB connection. Direct AC connection is the quickest.

Memphis_Raines

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - the iPad charger charges at 2.1A - about twice that of the iPhone charger.

Tim

Tim,

I tend to only have one charger plugged in which is the iPhone 4 one, as the op suggested it does take much longer to charge the ipad 2 than the phone for reasons you've just explained, if I swapped over and used the ipad 2 charger, is the higher charging rate likely to do any damage to the iPhone 4?

Thanks,

Sean

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Memphis_Raines said:
Tim,

I tend to only have one charger plugged in which is the iPhone 4 one, as the op suggested it does take much longer to charge the ipad 2 than the phone for reasons you've just explained, if I swapped over and used the ipad 2 charger, is the higher charging rate likely to do any damage to the iPhone 4?

Thanks,

Sean

No, any device (baring a fault) will only draw the current it needs at 5 volts, unlike if you were to use 12 volts which could cause damage.

Memphis_Raines

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipadbraincell said:
No, any device (baring a fault) will only draw the current it needs at 5 volts, unlike if you were to use 12 volts which could cause damage.

Great, thanks for the answer, I'll switch to the iPad charger.

Sean

Most reactions

Latest posts