What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pop up "Cannot get Mail" the connection to the server failed

WhydidIbuyit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Every time I go into my iPad mail I get the following pop up. No idea why.

[h=2]"Cannot get Mail"

The connection to the server failed[/h]
I click on OK, which seems to be the only option.

I "think" I'm getting all my mail from all of the accounts I've got set up after going through this routine several times, but I'd like to know what needs to be changed to stop this incessant pop up and why it started in the first place.

Is anyone else out there having a similar problem when trying to access their mail?

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Most times deleting the account and setting it up again will fix problems with email accounts.

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Like J. A. advised, deleting and reinstalling the account should sort it, with Google it is very easy. Firstly though, check your Gmail account via your browser to see that all is ok on that front. Last week this kept happening on my, dare I say it on here ;) Blackberry Z10, not just my Gmail but other accounts. Everything else was fine and since I reinstalled everything so far, so good. It is a pain from time to time, shouldn't happen but we have to learn to live with it. BTW, I now enjoy my IOS 7.0.3, everything is now fine. I will not be so hasty to moan next time!
Mike

caledonia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am getting same message when I open the Mail app, more of a pain in the ar$e than anything else. I still receive all my mail. Deleting the email accounts does not make any difference and I get it again before I even add my gmail account.

John

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Access the email account that causes this message through a browser and delete the emails that came around the day when you got the message for the first time. Maybe one of these emails is the reason for it.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My Apple ID mail account decided I was using the wrong password (saved and automatic). Just as I was changing the password from the website, thinking maybe I was hacked somehow, it logged in. Don't know if this is part of the same thing

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have asked GCHQ and the NSA to comment, but so far nothing! Only kidding, obviously, but as a small matter of interest I have had no problem since I reinstalled all my email addresses. I did go one step further and double checked with my ISP. The only anomaly I can think of is that ISPs change the ports from time to time, especially if a POP or IMAP account. That seemed to be the issue. As I said, contact your ISP and keep them on the line whilst you set up each account. That should sort it.
Good luck.

OP
WhydidIbuyit

WhydidIbuyit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most times deleting the account and setting it up again will fix problems with email accounts.
Apologies for not getting back to you ... the problem "seems" to have gone away. I did follow your instructions ... deleted all my mail accounts ... changed passwords ... set them up again and so far so good.

Corvairdave

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem and took the advise to delete the email accounts and start over. After I deleted the accounts I tried to enter a new account with the same email address and it apparently is still remembering the old one and wants a password that I have no idea what it is. I have lost all my emails and calendar events and cannot send or receive any emails. What a mess. I thought I could just delete the old information and re-enter my old address. Can you help?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPadForums, @Corvairdave!

Do you use the email account with the problems also as an Apple ID or iCloud ID? When you removed the account from your device, and it's not your iCloud or Apple ID, it shouldn't remember the information or a password.

Corvairdave

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to iPadForums, @Corvairdave!

Do you use the email account with the problems also as an Apple ID or iCloud ID? When you removed the account from your device, and it's not your iCloud or Apple ID, it shouldn't remember the information or a password.
Thanks for your response. I have been on the phone with ATT for about an hour and I think we have it straightened out.

Corvairdave

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's good. :)
I kept changing the password trying to get it to work and it looks like I got the passwords mixed up. ATT is confusing because it is Yahoo, Bellsouth.net and ATT.net all combined. Thanks again for your reply.

Most reactions

Latest posts