What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Imap.gmail.com is not responding ... Why?

Solrac81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I05 here too. I tried setting it up as an exchange account but it tells me it's unable to verify the info. I put the server as imap.gmail.com is this correct or should i be using something else?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you recently reset your security settings on Gmail, you will get that popup that OP posted. This is how I was able to get my email working properly again:

--By signing onto Gmail via web browser on iPad, logging on, clicking on Account, going to Security, and clicking on Authorizing Applications and Sites.

--Then I generated what it calls an Application-specific password.

--Once I got that password, I went to iPad's Settings > Mail, Contacts and Calendars and opened my email account settings and entered the password.

I had to do that for each Gmail account that I have.

I had to do this after I upgraded my security settings because of news of that big hacking attack on tech writer Mat Honan, which exposed flaws in Apple and Amazon security. One of the suggestions following that was to upgrade Gmail security, to try to ward off similar attacks.

Mktradr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Kaykaykay I activated the 2 step process along with the Application Specific password, made the changes on the iPad (got verification) and still getting the same error. Similar to others have stated this issue came up yesterday with no previous issues.

I guess I may have to do without gmail access on my iPad.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Kaykaykay I activated the 2 step process along with the Application Specific password, made the changes on the iPad (got verification) and still getting the same error. Similar to others have stated this issue came up yesterday with no previous issues.

I guess I may have to do without gmail access on my iPad.

Maybe so then.

I've not had probs on any of my four Gmail accounts since doing the steps I posted, though. All my accounts are working fine on iPad 1 and 2, and iPhone 4S. All are on iOS 5.1.1, and none of my accounts are set up via Exchange, if that helps to know.

rvarela

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same boat

I am experiencingthe same thing. Both my iPhone en my iPad are saying imap.gmail.com not responding since 8.8.12. I tried the following, without luck:
A) delete gmail account and started from zero
B) turning off/on devices
C) accessed gmail 'captcha' page as suggested by other forums/users
D) changed password in gmail (note that I can also access my gmail account from the laptop or the desktop iMac)
E) tried the weird thing of putting imap.googlemail in advanced settings (imap prefix)

It is VERY frustrating. I hope one could find a solution soon.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
E) tried the weird thing of putting imap.googlemail in advanced settings (imap prefix)

None of my accounts have any Imap path prefix, but all four accounts are functioning properly on the identical server port -- 993. (I had nothing to do with these settings; they just auto-populated when I added my email accounts to the email app originally.)

rvarela

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I forgot to say that I have also tried the two step verification process indicated by @kaykaykay. No luck. Also on 5.1.1, new iPad and iPhone 4s.

rvarela

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also tried different wifi networks. On the same wifi my wife's iPhone works well. Grrr! As @kaykaykay says, the default process involves no imap prefix (just a slash) and port 993. It is like this now. Well, at least I can access gmail from Safari.....

martinky82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the exact same problem, I did not change password or mess around with settings. My ipad1, iphone 4s, and macbook pro mail app have all stopped working as of the morning of august 9, 2012. Have tried everything, but nothing seems to work, I can still access gmail from safari.. WTF?!?!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i also found the same problem.. and unable to open my gmail account through my iphone.. then i search on the net and find the solution..
if you get the following message "“The user name Or the password for imap.gmail.com is incorrect" How to fix "imap.gmail.com" Gmail error on iPhone,iPad,Android or Mac? it will fix your issue..

This what I posted on post 19, but two users have since said that didn't help them, so there's probably more than one problem out there, requiring other solutions.

Most reactions

Latest posts