What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please help an iTunes novice about purchased media

gatecitycanes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry if this isn't the right forum for this question. Please move it if necessary. I've poked around looking for a definitive answer and can't find one.

OK, so I bought an episode of a TV show about a week ago from the iTunes app on the iPad. I watched it and then deleted it to clear the space. Yesterday I went into iTunes on my laptop and assumed I could watch it again from there and I can't seem to retrieve it.

Am I thinking about this wrong? My whole perspective about iTunes was shaped by my experience with the Kindle. If I bought a book on the device, I could delete it and later retrieve it through Amazon seemingly in perpetuity. Is this not the way it works with iTunes? Do I need to make sure it's on my PC before I delete it from the device?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Except for apps, once you delete it, you will have to re-purchase it if you want another copy of it.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gatecitycanes said:
Sorry if this isn't the right forum for this question. Please move it if necessary. I've poked around looking for a definitive answer and can't find one.

OK, so I bought an episode of a TV show about a week ago from the iTunes app on the iPad. I watched it and then deleted it to clear the space. Yesterday I went into iTunes on my laptop and assumed I could watch it again from there and I can't seem to retrieve it.

Am I thinking about this wrong? My whole perspective about iTunes was shaped by my experience with the Kindle. If I bought a book on the device, I could delete it and later retrieve it through Amazon seemingly in perpetuity. Is this not the way it works with iTunes? Do I need to make sure it's on my PC before I delete it from the device?

Always sync your purchases before deleting, then instead of deleting you can use iTunes to decide what is synced back to your iPad using the tick boxes on the relevant pages..........it's just a different way of thinking about things but becomes second nature after a while......really

The Archangel

Reaction score
As was already mentioned above, always sync your purchased media (music and movies), before you delete it.

The license model under which Apple sells digital content only allows the user to download the content once. So after it is downloaded, it is up to the user to create backups. Apple is trying to convince content providers to allow users to download content more then once, but at the current state, if you download content twice from the iTunes store, you also pay twice.

This of course is different for apps, which can be downloaded free of charge unlimited times.

lavenderlewis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I have a similar issue to the original poster BUT I have not yet deleted the TV programmes downloaded on my iPad.

I want to watch these on my laptop but I cannot figure out how to synch my iPad content to my laptop?

Help appreciated.

Thanks

autumnbaby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I have a similar issue to the original poster BUT I have not yet deleted the TV programmes downloaded on my iPad.

I want to watch these on my laptop but I cannot figure out how to synch my iPad content to my laptop?

Help appreciated.

Thanks

Once you have your iPad connected to iTunes right click your iPad (on the list to the left) and tell it to transfer purchases. This will move all music and videos you have purchased over to the computer.

Desmac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've sync'd my ipad. The music I bough through itunes and kindle did not copy to my PC. I want to load the Numbers app onto my ipad. It won't load direct to the ipad, requiring me to download it to itunes. numbers won't transfer to my ipad as the Os requires to be upgraded first. I can't upgrade the OS until I copy the purchased music to itunes. It refuses to copy to itunes. Don't assume that telling itunes to move purchases always works. Check that it was successful. Until I sort this, I can't upograde the OS, and can't load Numbers (I still don't know why it won't load direct to ipad). The whole sync/itunes setup seems hugely complicated and un-userfriendly. No more moans today ---yet!.

CBolton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have been purchasing and downloading TV episodes for ages, on my iPad. I received an email from iTunes letting me know a new episode was available, but when I went to download it, I could not find it in iTunes (download section). I have tried signing in and out of my Apple ID but nothing is working. For a test I tried purchasing a song, and this worked fine. Can anyone help?

Malcolm6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.cumbresdelvolcan.com
I am an iPad and iTunes novice. I purchased an album and downloaded it on the iPad with no problem. But when I synced with my itunes on my pc it deleted my purchase. iTunes let me download it again, but I again connected my pc. This time I did not sync, just added songs from my pc to iPad. Again my purchases album disappeared!! Again iTunes store allowed me to download it a third time (contradicting some of the posts on this forum). A third time I was very careful to only add and not sync or update. Before disconnecting my pc I checked and my purchased music was all there. But the next day whe I turned on my iPad, all the purchased music was gone again! WHAT AMI DOING WRONG. Thankfully iTunes has let me download a total of four times now without charging again.

Most reactions

Latest posts