What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Playing .avi on Ipad

Status
Not open for further replies.

barriejohn69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possoble to transfer avi's and play them on the Ipad? I transferred one (from windows) using diskaid but it wouldn't play via fileapp pro. I can convert the files into mp4 but it takes quite a while.

Basically I'm hoping for a type of drag and drop scenario.

Jamescaff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The easiest way is to stream it from your Mac/pc using a iPad app called air video this can play any file format even mkv you can also have the app live encode this to ur iPad format so iTunes won't moan :) hope that helps

lilman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad isn't jb anymore, but I believe they sell a port of vlc in the jb app store. That should allow you to play .avi files.

yxplayer was also just released in the offical app store and is supposed to support divx/xvid, but I've heard the current video playback is hit or miss and that it usually stutters. I would wait for further development before purchasing yxplayer.

Aiden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yxplayer in the apple app store, plays avi's among other formats and you can transfer through iTunes, in cydia it's called yxflash but you can't transfer using iTunes with the cydia version.

Zodtt is releasing vlc4ipad soon hopefully should be good!

OP
B

barriejohn69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
basically I want to transfer them on to the ipad as well so I dont have to tame my laptop with me.

OP
B

barriejohn69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fair play that is some app. The only problem is that my laptop would have to be on if I wanted to use it. I go away most weekends so was hoping to transfer the files to the ipad and watch them while I'm away. Well worth £1.79 though

OP
B

barriejohn69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's what ive already done. Just wondering if there was a way to drag and drop the files from pc to iPad.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sure, there are two ways that come to mind:

1) add them to your movies in iTunes and sync
2) use an app like GoodReader

Sorry, buts both ways require iTunes.

OP
B

barriejohn69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But would they need converting from avi to mp4 first? If so then that's what I'm doing. If not then that's what I'm after.

Aiden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can add .avi in iTunes and watch using yxplayer without the need to convert to mp4

OP
B

barriejohn69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried adding to iTunes but cant see them showing in any category

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm sort of disappointed because people are not reading the whole thread before replying.

If you want to take them with you, and leave the PC at home, you have to convert them first then drag them into iTunes -> Movies. Then you connect the iPad, select which movies you want to sync inside the iPad -> Movies section of iTunes, then sync.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts