What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just to get it clear... playing AVI files

robnet77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On a jailbroken iPad, with a Camera Connection Kit, can I play non-standard AVI files (possibly from a SDXC card), without the need to convert them?

My understanding is that it's possible, but would like the matter clarified please :)

Thanks!

OP
R

robnet77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you currently jailbroken, or want to jailbreak purely to play AVIs?

thanks for your reply.

I'm about to buy my first iPad but the capability of playing several AVI (divx - xvid) files I already have without wasting time to convert them, is the key factor for the purchase decision (having already cleared other doubts I had before).

I am going to jaibreak because it's free, it adds functionalities and allows to expand the device memory in a convenient way (for the record).

Highspeed123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You don't have to be JB to play other video formats. Apps such as BUZZ Player and MoliPlayer HD play pretty much all video types you can think off and it's simple to get them into the app via iTunes or over Wifi.

OP
R

robnet77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You don't have to be JB to play other video formats. Apps such as BUZZ Player and MoliPlayer HD play pretty much all video types you can think off and it's simple to get them into the app via iTunes or over Wifi.

thanks!
(I'd JB anyway, also because I will need external storage space for my AVI files)

JezzerP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.design-79.co.uk
FileBrowser might fit the bill, and no need to Jailbreak. You can stream movies and pictures from any Mac, Windows or Linux share on your network. FileBrowser will play any movie natively supported by the iPad directly, but for content such as avi movies you can send it to another app that will play it, such as CineXPlayer. Check out these links:

FileBrowser - Access files on remote computers for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Stratospherix - Products - FileBrowser - Overview

CineXPlayer

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
if it's true, then I won't need to wait for the JB for iOS6 to come out, to buy an iPad!

however, what's the sense of this thread then?

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/6006-camera-connection-kit-jailbreak-cheap-video-storage.html

Well, if you look at the first post, you'll see that it started in 2010, which was well before the Air Stash or Seagate got going. In addition, it's good to have the thread still going so that people (like me) who didn't get the external hard drives would still be able to get pointers on how to use the CCK with a jail broke iPad.

Marilyn

OP
R

robnet77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FileBrowser might fit the bill, and no need to Jailbreak. You can stream movies and pictures from any Mac, Windows or Linux share on your network. FileBrowser will play any movie natively supported by the iPad directly, but for content such as avi movies you can send it to another app that will play it, such as CineXPlayer. Check out these links:

FileBrowser - Access files on remote computers for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Stratospherix - Products - FileBrowser - Overview

CineXPlayer

thanks for the info, I'll look into those links although I want to expand my storage and take it with me when needed, instead of relying on my home network...

OP
R

robnet77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, if you look at the first post, you'll see that it started in 2010, which was well before the Air Stash or Seagate got going. In addition, it's good to have the thread still going so that people (like me) who didn't get the external hard drives would still be able to get pointers on how to use the CCK with a jail broke iPad.

Marilyn

thanks, much appreciated, I've digged around a bit and found out the Air Stash costs a fortune, while the Seagate (assuming you're referring to the GoFlex) doesn't get many good reviews on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-STB...torage/dp/B0058FQAF6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Most reactions