What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pesky Insects

Powered Player

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips to get rid of insects, my house is clean and I always clean places where there might be bugs, and I have covered every single hole In the wall, and I have also used those sticky pads, and I placed cinnamon on the windows (the smell repels ants) and they still find a way to get in. Whenever I try sleeping they crawl on me and I basically stay up because every 5 minutes I see an ant crawling around. Oh yeah and I forgot to mention that I live in North Texas and for some reason it is still cold outside, maybe the ants are trying to avoid the cold?

OP
Powered Player

Powered Player

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And exterminators are not an potion for me because they use too many chemicals, and thanks for the help :)

Darkstar2007

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.iphoneforums.net
I've worked for a pest control company in the past and the best information I can give you is to make sure you don't have any branches or foliage touching your house, and make sure there's no standing water around a 10 foot perimeter of your home.

If you've covered every hole you can imagine (which is next to impossible since ants can crawl through holes we can barely see) then those are your best options.

As far as I know, there isn't a non chemical way to effectively remove a colony of ants. A few always get away. Now, are you aware of what type of species ants your dealing with? It's important. Some ants have one parent mound while others have a parent mound and the colony will build "satellite" mounds all over the yard. The satellite mounds will be smaller, but any eradication won't be effective without removing these mounds as well.

If you decide your fed up with ants, and you're ready to try chemicals, I have three products to recommend that are safe, and very very effective.

1) Temprid SC

This product is made by the bayer corp. This product eliminates over 50 species of common household pests. This product will leave a residual film of product for up to 30 days on the outside of your home. Also, for mosquito control, you can spray plants safely with this product and the mosquito population will almost vanish around your home.

This product was our base product and we've had very positive feedback from our customers homes we've treated.

2) Termidor

This product is made specifically for ants and termites. This product effectively removes ant colonies for up to 6 months. The ants will track through the residual film of product and live to carry it back to the colony. The other ants will get this product on them as well and the whole colony is thus eradicated. Very effective. We were only allowed to use this product twice a year, but nothing could beat it when it came to ant control.

3) Phantom.

Just as effective as Termidor, but you will have to apply this product every 30 days to the outside of your home. It kills the colony in the same fashion as Termidor as well. It comes in an ultra concentrated liquid, and an aerosol form as well (good for indoor treatments).

The company I worked for had very positive feedback for all of these products. The company I worked for was a very reputable company as well. It's presence reached 5 states and is still expanding to this day.

That's the best information I can give you. These products are very effective, but are useless without a good pest management program consisting of home cleanliness and hygiene. You have that covered, so the choice is yours!

If you decide to continue with a non chemical approach, I respect that and would like to know what method worked. :)

Thanks for reading this long winded post!

Joe

Last edited:

Darkstar2007

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.iphoneforums.net
I've also forgot to mention that keeping sugary foods in an air tight, plastic container. Bags of sugar, or opened cereal boxes were always a huge culprit when ants were invading people's homes.

Also, ants can be attracted to sweet smelling bath soaps or shampoos. Plus, the water in a bathroom can attract them as well.

It's tough to remove an infestation of any type of insect, but termites, ants, and roaches are always the worst type to eliminate IMO. Sometimes, the cleanest of homes can still harbor these pests...

Ok! I'm done, I promise!

ADDENDUM:

Also, try to refrain from leaving pet food and water in bowls in the floor for extended periods of time. This is a big attraction for ants as well! They make pet food dispensers that automatically place food when an animal comes to eat or drink. These are very effective for a good pest management program!

Ok!! I'm gonna stop! XD!!

Last edited:
OP
Powered Player

Powered Player

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've also forgot to mention that keeping sugary foods in an air tight, plastic container. Bags of sugar, or opened cereal boxes were always a huge culprit when ants were invading people's homes.

Also, ants can be attracted to sweet smelling bath soaps or shampoos. Plus, the water in a bathroom can attract them as well.

It's tough to remove an infestation of any type of insect, but termites, ants, and roaches are always the worst type to eliminate IMO. Sometimes, the cleanest of homes can still harbor these pests...

Ok! I'm done, I promise!

ADDENDUM:

Also, try to refrain from leaving pet food and water in bowls in the floor for extended periods of time. This is a big attraction for ants as well! They make pet food dispensers that automatically place food when an animal comes to eat or drink. These are very effective for a good pest management program!

Ok!! I'm gonna stop! XD!!

Lol Thanks :D

OP
Powered Player

Powered Player

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've worked for a pest control company in the past and the best information I can give you is to make sure you don't have any branches or foliage touching your house, and make sure there's no standing water around a 10 foot perimeter of your home.

If you've covered every hole you can imagine (which is next to impossible since ants can crawl through holes we can barely see) then those are your best options.

As far as I know, there isn't a non chemical way to effectively remove a colony of ants. A few always get away. Now, are you aware of what type of species ants your dealing with? It's important. Some ants have one parent mound while others have a parent mound and the colony will build "satellite" mounds all over the yard. The satellite mounds will be smaller, but any eradication won't be effective without removing these mounds as well.

If you decide your fed up with ants, and you're ready to try chemicals, I have three products to recommend that are safe, and very very effective.

1) Temprid SC

This product is made by the bayer corp. This product eliminates over 50 species of common household pests. This product will leave a residual film of product for up to 30 days on the outside of your home. Also, for mosquito control, you can spray plants safely with this product and the mosquito population will almost vanish around your home.

This product was our base product and we've had very positive feedback from our customers homes we've treated.

2) Termidor

This product is made specifically for ants and termites. This product effectively removes ant colonies for up to 6 months. The ants will track through the residual film of product and live to carry it back to the colony. The other ants will get this product on them as well and the whole colony is thus eradicated. Very effective. We were only allowed to use this product twice a year, but nothing could beat it when it came to ant control.

3) Phantom.

Just as effective as Termidor, but you will have to apply this product every 30 days to the outside of your home. It kills the colony in the same fashion as Termidor as well. It comes in an ultra concentrated liquid, and an aerosol form as well (good for indoor treatments).

The company I worked for had very positive feedback for all of these products. The company I worked for was a very reputable company as well. It's presence reached 5 states and is still expanding to this day.

That's the best information I can give you. These products are very effective, but are useless without a good pest management program consisting of home cleanliness and hygiene. You have that covered, so the choice is yours!

If you decide to continue with a non chemical approach, I respect that and would like to know what method worked. :)

Thanks for reading this long winded post!

Joe

And don't worry I've written longer post lol, and people still read them :/ lol

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
We've had good results using Terro to stop ants. It's cheap and non-toxic.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You set a trap and catch a few dozen. You then kill three or four in view of the Ant Heard. Perhaps you Waterboard a few during intensive questioning. The rest will report back that you are not to be messed with and they will retreat. Thought everyone knows this.

Most reactions

Latest posts