What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pen Ultimate Update Released!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some pretty good updates in this release, so I thought it was worth mentioning:

- Different colored pen colors
- The ability to choose from three sized pens

xultar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some pretty good updates in this release, so I thought it was worth mentioning:

- Different colored pen colors
- The ability to choose from three sized pens

I saw it, I haven't played with it yet.

What tasks do you find Penultimate helps you with the most?

I have like 4 note taking apps but I'm having problems picking the right one for the job or task @ hand.

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well admittedly I don't use it for much. Last night I used it for writing down the calories and ingredients to dinner as I made it with a stylus. I am hoping to use it to take notes in Persian-Farsi while I'm in Germany all of July and part of August, but it's hard as a left handed person to write right to left with any of the note taking apps.

Pen Ultimate for me is the best because it has wrist protection, which is an absolute must for lefties.

Even with that though it's still hard for me to write, but frankly I think the biggest problem is all the stylus have such a flat big ass tip to them, and you can't use a pen shaped tip.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well admittedly I don't use it for much. Last night I used it for writing down the calories and ingredients to dinner as I made it with a stylus. I am hoping to use it to take notes in Persian-Farsi while I'm in Germany all of July and part of August, but it's hard as a left handed person to write right to left with any of the note taking apps.

Pen Ultimate for me is the best because it has wrist protection, which is an absolute must for lefties.

Even with that though it's still hard for me to write, but frankly I think the biggest problem is all the stylus have such a flat big ass tip to them, and you can't use a pen shaped tip.

I'm a lefty too. Can you clarify the 'wrist protection' part?

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Supposedly it helps by sort of predicting when your wrist is touching the screen so it doesn't count that as a pen stroke. Additionally, if programs detect your wrist as a pen stroke, when you go to write most of them aren't multi touch so it won't let you write with your stylus because it thinks you are already writing with your wrist.

Honestly, it doesn't work amazing, but it's infinitely better than any other notepad app I've found. I was hoping with the stylus I could really bang out Persian-Farsi notes but to be honest between the giant stylus tip and the lefty thing, it's not going to happen probably.

Anyone know why you can't make a stylus with a small tip for the iPad?

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I saw 1 video of a paint type program, but the user had a glove on with the fingertips cut out.....like weightlifting or biking gloves.

xultar

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I am gonna buy some sheets of conductive foam and experiment with different tips in an aluminum pencil sized tube. I'll let you know how I make out. Too bad the foam can't be melted and shaped and retain the conductive properties. :(

texaslonghorn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have already made my own stylus - it is stooopid easy and it works. Literally all you need is a metal tube sized like a pen and a piece of conductive foam jammed in one end. Use very sharp scissors to trim/shape the part of foam sticking out - you are done. You can make the tip as small as you want - well almost, but you can make it smaller than the commercially available ones. Also, I used a fat barrel pen cuz I hate skinny pens.

I am also a lefty and have foiund that I am okay writing without resting my hand on the surface. Maybe that is just me - I guess I learned to do that years ago as an attempt to prevent smearing. I tried the wrist protection on penultimate and found it to do very little. Apparently my exact hand position confuises it.

You should really look at smartnotes. This is the app I am going to use for work - I take many notes during intervierws. I am not going to go into all the functionality, but it has everything I could dream of for my use.

theipadstudent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.theipadstudentexperiment.com
I use PenUltimate to take notes for some math classes, but i haven't gotten around to making my own stylus so I hold my index finger as I would a pencil and use that for writing. I'm a lefty as well and needed to train myself to not have my wrist rest on the screen as I wrote. I haven't tested PenUltimate out since the update about the wrist detection but I'll report back with what I find.

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have already made my own stylus - it is stooopid easy and it works. Literally all you need is a metal tube sized like a pen and a piece of conductive foam jammed in one end. Use very sharp scissors to trim/shape the part of foam sticking out - you are done. You can make the tip as small as you want - well almost, but you can make it smaller than the commercially available ones. Also, I used a fat barrel pen cuz I hate skinny pens.

I am also a lefty and have foiund that I am okay writing without resting my hand on the surface. Maybe that is just me - I guess I learned to do that years ago as an attempt to prevent smearing. I tried the wrist protection on penultimate and found it to do very little. Apparently my exact hand position confuises it.

You should really look at smartnotes. This is the app I am going to use for work - I take many notes during intervierws. I am not going to go into all the functionality, but it has everything I could dream of for my use.
Could you just cut around the tip of a commercial stylus?

texaslonghorn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sure, but where is the "geek factor" in that? Where is the satisfaction in making it yourself (for 5 times the cost of the readily available device, plus untold hours of work and frustration)?

BTW-I made my own cradle last night too....

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I already own a stylus. I don't care about geek factor.

BobHinVT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm losing hope that an iPad app can perform like a PC-tablet. Penultimate's new "wrist protection" simply does not work.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BobHinVT said:
I'm losing hope that an iPad app can perform like a PC-tablet. Penultimate's new "wrist protection" simply does not work.

Bob, I for one am glad that my iPad doesn't perform like a PC tablet, mine performs like an iPad which is what I purchased........Also this thread hadn't been posted in for over a year so now it's closed!

The Archangel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions