What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paper Towel

Ipadscot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Stupidly wiped the screen with a paper towel as someone spilt wine on my iPad. I wondered how I could tell if damage had been caused to the screen.

mikeos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd have done the same.
If you're really worried make sure it's completely off and leave it in a bowl of dry rice in a warm place for at least a week.
The dry rice helps any moisture escape.
I did this with my phone after dropping it a puddle and it worked for me.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not trying to be flippant, but probably by looking at it... :)

The gorilla glass on these devices is pretty tough. A paper towel, even a rough one, is unlikely to scratch it unless there was also dirt / grit on the screen. Get yourself a good microfiber cloth and clean the screen well. If it passes inspection with your eyes, then it's fine. Dont fret!

(I'm assuming you mean scratch damage, not liquid damage, given the way your post it worded)

Ziggie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unless I'm completely mistaken, ipads do not have gorilla glass. They are fairly scratch resistant though.

Paper towels are never ideal for screen cleaning, but you aren't really going to harm the scream unless there was something on the paper towel or the screen to rub around and scratch it.

NoNoBadDog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ziggie said:
Unless I'm completely mistaken, ipads do not have gorilla glass. They are fairly scratch resistant though.

Paper towels are never ideal for screen cleaning, but you aren't really going to harm the scream unless there was something on the paper towel or the screen to rub around and scratch it.

The new iPad (third gen) does indeed have Gorilla Glass.

Sent from my iPad 3rd Gen using ipf

Ziggie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NoNoBadDog said:
The new iPad (third gen) does indeed have Gorilla Glass.

Sent from my iPad 3rd Gen using ipf

Any actual confirmation? Googling just comes up with a number of gorilla glass rumors for the new ipad.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The company Corning makes the glass for all iDevices. They are the ones that make Gorilla Glass but Apple does not advertise it as Gorilla Glass. It might be different (who knows) but it is the same company....

xGary

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is a paper towel it's not gonna scratch the glass screen....

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
seneca18 said:
The company Corning makes the glass for all iDevices. They are the ones that make Gorilla Glass but Apple does not advertise it as Gorilla Glass. It might be different (who knows) but it is the same company....

I completely agree. I have always referred to it as gorilla glass, but neither Apple nor Corning will advertise it as such. Yet, as you say, Corning makes GG, and Apple uses Corning glass exclusively. There are plenty of examples of if displaying gorilla glass like properties, which is good enough for me ;)

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then you can be pretty sure its a duck... or a gorilla... ! ? ! ?

Ziggie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
I completely agree. I have always referred to it as gorilla glass, but neither Apple nor Corning will advertise it as such. Yet, as you say, Corning makes GG, and Apple uses Corning glass exclusively. There are plenty of examples of if displaying gorilla glass like properties, which is good enough for me ;)

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then you can be pretty sure its a duck... or a gorilla... ! ? ! ?

So, its still unconfirmed. I was actually curious whether or not either Apple or Corning had said something I missed. All I know is that its a fantastic and durable screen.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ziggie said:
So, its still unconfirmed. I was actually curious whether or not either Apple or Corning had said something I missed. All I know is that its a fantastic and durable screen.

Totally agree, and I doubt it ever will be confirmed... If they give it the Gorilla Glass branding folks start to test and measure the iPad screens in ways that may not be "fair". It raises potentially false expectations in the marketplace. With every new iPad model release there is always a small percentage of folks who are unlucky enough, through whatever mechanism, to break or otherwise damage their screen. I've seen loads of debates here and elsewhere along the lines of "I cant believe these screens break. They are supposed to be tough. Aren't they made with Gorilla Glass?". We don't need to debate the answers to that in this thread, but there's an (incorrect) expectation that the GG branding provides some kind of "guarantee" that glass screens won't shatter. So selling the iPad with a branded Gorilla Glass screen could actually do more damage to Apple than good. That's just my 2c and an entirely personal opinion.

Also, it's not just the new iPads this concerns. All 3 models use glass with comparable properties. Its not some new rumour for the iPad3 only (although, confusingly, there are plenty of internet pages on the subject which are iPad3 specific). The same discussions took place when the iPad1 and iPad2 were released. :) In fact there are pictures around the webz of iPad2 screens being bent to ridiculous angles without breaking to demonstrate the properties.

Anyhoo, I'm in danger of taking this thread further off topic! :D

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts